About the creator
Hi! My name is Michael (マイコー), and I'm both the creator and administrator of renshuu.org. I studied computer science and Japanese in college, which is when I originally created renshuu.org. As a student, I knew there had to be a better way to study certain elements of Japanese than what I saw myself and my peers doing. I got tired of spending time making flashcards, spending more time drilling through the same stack of words over and over again, then cramming again just before a quiz. Japanese is hard enough by itself; I didn't want to lose any more time to study methods that weren't ideal, or to study 'preparation' (making and maintaining study materials). This gave rise to renshuu.org.
I've been studying Japanese for (as of writing this) almost 8 years. I've spent several years in Japan teaching English, and I realized during that time that I wanted to be a teacher as a career (back in America). I love being both a teacher and a student of language, and I try to use this passion to better the site and help everyone else here at renshuu.org.
When I'm not teaching, studying, or working on the site, I spend most of my time on music, rock climbing, photography, and traveling.
Thanks for using the site; if you ever have any questions, comments, or ideas - please feel free to contact me!
The very little personal information that renshuu.org requires for registration will never be used, sold, or given to anyone. It will never leave the site.
Some of the dictionary/reference material used in the site has been taken from publicly-available sources on the Internet.
- SoundManager2 - handles mobile audio playing
- Kanjidic - Kanji database
- EDICT - Vocabulary definitions
- KanjiCafe - kanji stroke order diagrams (license )
- Komodo Media - social networking icons
- Skritter.com - vocabulary/kanji lists for Yookoso, Nakama, and Tobira.
- Kanji Dictionary Publishing Society - SKIP codes listed in the Kanji dictionary
- PlaySay.com - all single-word audio materials available for reference
- Icons used from the following sources: FamFamFam, SplashyIcons, Crystal Project Icons, Fat cow, WooFunction, yootheme and Oxygen