Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - [FEATURE] Implementating "export as audio lesson"

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Max5838
Level: 40

This feature would create a recording of the words, read aloud. This would allow to learn your vocabulary while doing something else (cooking, riding a bike, driving your car, walking, doing sports, showering, ...).

You can use the recordings already existing for the Japanese reading, and for the English reading you can use a text-to-speech app since if the reading isn't perfect that's not really important. Plus, today you can find text-to-speech services that don't produce too robotic voices.

The audio file itself could simply be a concatenation of all the words and their translations, with pauses in-between. It could be something like this:

word 1 - small pause - translation word 1 - big pause - word 2 - small pause - translation word 2 - big pause - ...

I also propose some settings for this feature:

- order: "Japanese than translation" or "translation then Japanese"

- number of repetitions of the Japanese word: 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4

- number of repetitions of the translation: 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4

- speed: ×0.75, ×0.9, ×1, ×1.1, ×1.33

Advanced settings:

- pause between translated word (if repeated) duration:

- pause between Japanese words (if repeated) duration: 0s, 0.5s, 1s, 2s, 3s, 5s, 7s, 10s, 15s

- pause between Japanese word and its translation (if applicable): 0s, 0.5s, 1s, 2s, 3s, 5s, 7s, 10s, 15s

- pause between different words: 0s, 0.5s, 1s, 2s, 3s, 5s, 7s, 10s, 15s

It could also be nice if you could filter the exported words, for example, you might want to export only the words that you have trouble with, or 20 words among those that you don't have reviewed yet.

But all the details I provided are just ideas, I'd like this feature no matter how it's implemented!

Thank you for your consideration, keep up the good work and be well!

Maxime

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

Thanks for the suggestion!

At the moment, I am staying away from TTS functionality within renshuu - it may not be "best for the business", but at least on the Japanese end, I'd much rather prefer to have native audio, and we are working to greatly expand it in 2023.

I do see a number of technical difficulties with creating this, but probably nothing deal-breaking if I get down to actually implementing it. At the moment, those, my focus in on a number of other areas within renshuu. I am the sole developer of the system (my wife does all of the artwork and some of the Japanese content), so time is pretty restricted.

I *do* want to expand on audio availability, though, and will definitely keep this in mind as I move forward.

Thanks for your understanding!

1 year ago
Report Content
Max5838
Level: 40

Thank you very much for your answer!

I absolutely understand, please focus on what you want to focus on!

And thank you both for all of your hard work

I wish you all the best,

Maxime

PS: I love those cute emoji

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana