Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - What's your favorite Japanese word?

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Page: 1 of 4

マイコー
Level: 262
It changes from time to time, but I've always had a special place in my heart for

たっぷり

It means 'full of', 'plenty of', etc. I usually see it on food products, saying something like 'あじ たっぷり!' (Full of flavor!)

I'm not sure why, but the pronunciation just sounds..good. It makes me grin whenever I hear it. Nothing wrong with that, right?

What's yours?
17 years ago
Report Content
DatsunVic
Level: 1
 Can't really say why 「さあ?」けどきですよ
17 years ago
Report Content
juuoku
Mine is probably
え 
17 years ago
Report Content
Suria
I like あれ?! Often it goes along with something amusing happening so it always makes me laugh.

I also like ぐにゃぐにゃ which means "crooked", and you also use it if you had to take an indirect route to get somewhere with lots of turns- very common in Tokyo...
17 years ago
Report Content
kyuuketsuki
ちょっともと が き です^^
16 years ago
Report Content
Nashira
ときどき always puts a smile on my face. ;D
16 years ago
Report Content
JellyFishSushi
is one of my favs too.. I think because all the kanji are similar but different >_>

I also like マジ a lot haha
16 years ago
Report Content
kyubisharingan
[quote author=Nashira link=topic=116.msg413#msg413 date=1200661362]
ときどき always puts a smile on my face. ;D
[/quote]

u aint lying, same here
16 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262
Just heard another one:

くさい (なっとうくさい)

broken apart, なっとう (as in, the terrible food) and い/くさい (the state of smelling bad)

It's used in reference to *really* smelly things, as in, they smell like natto. At least the Japanese are honest about what they eat, even if they claim to love it.
16 years ago
Report Content
pumpkin
はじめまして。みなさん
きなです。
16 years ago
Report Content
baisancho1965
skinship
16 years ago
Report Content
きなは「じろじろ」です。きやすいです。
16 years ago
Report Content
syed
hallo everyone. my favourite word is ぐるぐるバー!
16 years ago
Report Content
キャシー
セクハラ... does that count? ^^;; I love it and don't know why. I call organic chemistry モレハラ after my classmates started making jokes about nucleophiles and electrophiles and molecular harassment. xD If that makes sense to anyone else on these boards...

As for actual Japanese words... I agree with those who have already said it - never fails to make me smile. As does . On the other hand, I made the mistake of introducing my Japanese classmates to the term おかま, and it's now a constant joke in class (since the guys have a habit of reading メアリーさん’s parts in the dialogue).

Also, I love their way of putting things together (like マイケル said with なっとうくさい), making words up (マクる - slang for eating at MacDonald's. Why? I don't know, but it's fun!) and shortening everything (アメフト、セクハラ、...). Sure, it makes it harder for me to have a clue what they're saying, but I love it anyway. xD
16 years ago
Report Content
maibyers
My favorite word is: やっぱり because most of the time in English it means "just as I thought" やっぱり is so much shorter.
15 years ago
Report Content
ジャック
めちゃくちゃ is my current favorite, for obvious reasons!
15 years ago
Report Content
あたたかい, because of how hard it is to say quickly, especially it's past forms... a bit of a tongue twister, lol...;) (あたたかくなかった) ;)
15 years ago
Report Content
kinkaida
My favorite Japanese word would have to be...ときどき. It's just so much fun to say!
15 years ago
Report Content
キャシー
[quote author=ティムシ レーン  link=topic=116.msg1984#msg1984 date=1240802990]
あたたかい, because of how hard it is to say quickly, especially it's past forms... a bit of a tongue twister, lol...;) (あたたかくなかった) ;)
[/quote]
You're evil. I just spent the last full minute trying to say あたたかかった at full speed without slowing it down once first or typing it out to read it. That was [i]hard[/i]. xD It also reminded me of my おさななじみ last year at the り in San Fran, complaining about how she hated that it was so much harder to say "it's warm" than "it's hot". xD

I keep thinking I want to come on here and mention my recent affinity for... some word, which I can not think of for the life of me. xD Oops. (Though しかし is becoming a beloved word, because it's the only word I keep catching on my fansubs lately. xD)
15 years ago
Report Content
もちろん!!!
Don't ask! I just love to say it with a serious face and whenever possible, pumping my fist. A solemn しかし and an enthusiastic よし are equally satisfying.
15 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 4

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana