Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - What's your favorite Japanese word?

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Page: 2 of 4

kiruchan
Level: 1
なるほど is a favourite of mine, but I'm also partial to なんとかかんとか :)
15 years ago
Report Content
メルロット
I'm going to have to say that 「やっぱり!」 is my favorite... also 「そのとり!」, both with a loud voice.
15 years ago
Report Content
looh
Level: 16
Hmm. I think my favorite word is やった! I saw it once in a Metroid Manga I was reading and I literally LOL'd when I saw it.

I also have a favorite : なぁ <- I think I abuse that one. It's 西 if anybody was wondering.

きなは「やった」とうなぁ。 See? I did it again!!
15 years ago
Report Content
Piruvi
Hi!
きだ([b]かにゅう[/b])。このはかわいくてたまらない!!
15 years ago
Report Content
RuaU_U
Level: 439

i like to hear あるんだ... it sounds so good i dunno why

3 years ago
Report Content
ネコダ
Level: 111

Mine is also「やっぱ」

[Edit] just noticed that the question was asked 14 years ago 🤣

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

Haha - renshuu's been around for awhile! Forums have never been that active, though.

3 years ago
Report Content
えいえん
Level: 302

My name might give it away, but my favorite word has always been えいえん. Back when I was still learning how to write the characters, it just had a nice, flowing feel to it and stuck with me.

3 years ago
Report Content
かおう
Level: 10

I would say its "もち" I really like saying it fast and its really おいしい!!

もち、もち、もち。。。

3 years ago
Report Content
akimi04
Level: 80

ヤバい❗

3 years ago
Report Content
akimi04
Level: 80

もったいない! Anybody else likes this word?

3 years ago
Report Content

My favorite Japanese word is definitely  (こもれび), which means the light that filters through a tree’s leaves. I think it’s such a pretty word :)

I heard it in a rap song haha

3 years ago
Report Content
アーケノット
Level: 247

もしかして is always really good imo

It's thrown out there pretty often when someone either has an epiphany, or things are about to get real!

Plus the whole "wait a second..." moments it accompanies in media are also often excellent.

3 years ago
Report Content
こはく
Level: 387

It never really occurred to me to have a favorite, so I'm not sure I have one.

But I made a list of some words I enjoy:

: I feel it really evocatively conveys the sense of flailing around in the dark. Along similar lines, むやみに is also kind of fun.

: The word itself is picturesque and evocative (a woven thing that's like wings that you wear--not sure if that's the real etymology, just what the kanji make it sound like), and I'm also sort of fascinated recently by themselves. I learned that, like "coat," a of any length is still a , but there are lots of different ways you can be more specific, like 綿、and so on. Source: https://kimono-story.com/entry...

: Learned this from Pokemon. ;) The etymology is really fun if you read the J-J definition (spoiler: it comes from the idea of the outrage of a dragon if you touch a certain scale that is growing backwards).

: I was familiar with the name Tomoe but didn't learn until recently that is that comma-design you see everywhere. Like there are different words for different types, in this case based on how many comma shapes there are.

: Not so much the word itself (though the kanji looks kind of cool) as that it's fun to recognize the humor when there are characters in Japanese popular media with this name, who like to act big, bad, and dangerous, but whose name/nickname actually means "Spot."

カモシカ:More the actual animal, but how カモ + シカ equals "serow" is really amusing if you think of it as (duck) + 鹿 (deer) instead of the actual meaning (鹿).

EDIT: Actually, the real etymology of the kanji used to write カモシカ, rug-deer (鹿) (a deer-like creature that's shaggy like a rug?) or antelope-sheep () (fleet and good at jumping, like an antelope, but shaggy like a sheep?) is pretty fun too!

2 years ago
Report Content
igalvidator
Level: 506

(^-^)b

2 years ago
Report Content
kdJ
Level: 82

My favorite word is えんぴつ, I don't know what it is about that word that makes my brain go "Yes, this is a very good and important word. Never forget it", but whatever it is, えんぴつ has it.

Same with くるま.

2 years ago
Report Content
Savageman1
Level: 45

I always enjoy thinking it's one person leaning on another.

2 years ago
Report Content
エルーシ
Level: 12

Don't know if it's exactly my favorite word, but 「うす」is probably one of the most memorable words I have since it was the first Kanji/word our Sensei taught us when we began kanji in 101 but then when explaining my absence in 201 due to a bout of depression the word was lost on her. Quite a memorable experience

2 years ago
Report Content

It's sharp, simple and usesble for any occasion. くそ

2 years ago
Report Content
Level: 33

I have several, but my favourite so far is I came across this when I was pretty young and I love how it means fire and looks like a flame too

2 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 2 of 4

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana