Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Why are you studying Japanese?

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Page: 2 of 4

kinkaida
Level: 1
In the beginning I wanted to learn japanese so I could watch anime without subtitles but now I'm have a bigger motivation. I want to become a translator and not only learn the Japanese language but also learn many other languages especially asian maybe even russian.
15 years ago
Report Content
Im very interested in the language and the culture. I want to spend some time over there, and interact with natives. I applied for the JET program and wasnt accepted this year. But Im gonna get some teaching experience, a JLPT cert and hopefully get accepted next year. :)

And like so many, my college classes were extremely difficult but very fun and motivational.
15 years ago
Report Content
daradesu
Always loved japanese movies/manga/food. Tried to learn a little but never really devoted much time to it. Spent 6 weeks last year going around Japan, and absolutely fell in love with the country and the people. I picked up quite alot just by trying to talk to people, but couldn't read at all. So When I got back, I made up my mind to try to actually learn the language :o I knew Japanese looked hard before I tried.. and now I realise how much there is to actually learn.. its pretty mind boggling. But I hope to get up to a half decent level, and I'm aiming for 4Kyu in december :D
15 years ago
Report Content
dfperfume
When I was young, anime made me want to learn. Then, all these Jdramas and Jpop. Now I am taking up engineering and I'm sure you know that Japan is one of the most advanced countries in that field. There's also this exchange student program where I could apply if I have a high enough grade. Bottomline though, I want to work there.
15 years ago
Report Content
Diamondrock
When I was a kid I was a bit of a Nintendo freak. I decided that [i]I[/i] would make my own videogames. But the only thing I knew about videogames was that they came from Japan. So I started reading about Japan. I've been hooked ever since.

I became more interested in culture and history as time went on (as well as things like anime) and made Japanese studying one of my primary goals in college. The reason why I'm [i]still[/i] studying is that I'm going to graduate school starting in August and I'll need to be able to do research in Japanese at some point...
15 years ago
Report Content
TofuSupreme
Level: 2
Oh my goodness. As its been said before, everyone's responses is just very interesting.

Well, just like a lot of other people responded; I've been introduced to anime at a very young age. When I was growing up, I've been some what of an "Otaku", loving everything that was Japanese. However, when I went to college, I tried my hardest to tell my mom that I wanted to exchange schools because the school I was attending at the time did not have a Japanese major program. She believed, just like any parent, that it was a phasing phase and that I would get over it.

Well, I finished school with my degree and still unsatisfied.

I've been out of school for just about two years, and I've looked into studying Japanese for six years, but never had the guts to enroll. Because of my past student loans and money issue, I was afraid that studying Japanese would not only 1) Put me in a bad financial situation and 2) Be a waste of time. After long talks with my boyfriend, he knew that I would just have to learn the language no matter what.

It is pretty sad because, I am going to try and base my career off of a single language and other little skills. I tried to image myself doing something else, but I really can't. I wanted to be a lot of things, but in the end, it did not interest me as much as the Japanese culture. Mind you, I'm not really into anime anymore, but I do listen to J-rock, read manga (when I have a free chance) and watch my boyfriend play video games (Mostly 2D fighting games, survival horror, some fps games, etc).

x_x so, yeah.
15 years ago
Report Content
KaiTea, we have a lot in common. I also was introduced to the language in college through an exbf, but I was afraid to venture there, and got my degree in Theatre but was unsatisfied. 4 years later, I found myself being able to take classes at college for free because of my work, so I started taking Japanese right away, and now I realize I don't want to do anything else.

Oddly, because I can only take night or online Japanese classes, I'm going to quit my job in the next year and take out loans (again!) and go back full time to get a Japanese degree. I understand your worries about money, and I understand your fear about what the hell you're going to do with your life just knowing Japanese. And, and maybe this is just naivete talking, but I feel that if it's what you want to do, and it's what you love, all the other stuff will just fall in line later. What's the point of going through life not doing what you love just because it may put you in debt or give you a stable future?

Just my opinion anyways ^^

15 years ago
Report Content
TofuSupreme
Level: 2
I agree with you 100%.[quote author=クリスタリン link=topic=137.msg2651#msg2651 date=1250907473]
And, and maybe this is just naivete talking, but I feel that if it's what you want to do, and it's what you love, all the other stuff will just fall in line later. What's the point of going through life not doing what you love just because it may put you in debt or give you a stable future?

Just my opinion anyways ^^

[/quote]

I agree with you 100%! ^_^

It took me a while to have the guts to even take a Japanese class once a week (Which is what I am currently doing). I am planning on heading back to school in spring 2010, no matter what.

And its funny... you got a BFA degree, right? Well I got a BFA too! But, mine was in Photography. LMAO.

Also, in my opinion... most people will be broke until they find a suitable career, in which they can profit from. Being in my 20's, I am not too sure if I am allowed to be financially stable... unless I had a rich family or one hell of a good paying job. x_x
15 years ago
Report Content
ダイヤン
Just around 30 years ago, a prickly librarian noticed a very shy, very awkward, new student almost hiding at the back of the third grade class that was walking through the library. When it became apparent that the young girl hadn't made any friends among her new class mates yet, the librarian took a little extra time with her, and showed her a special set of books filled with folk tales from around the world that many of the other students never even looked at. It was really a shame because the story books had some of the most exquisite artwork being done for the time.

My favorite folk tales were [i]The Crane Maiden[/i] and [i]The Girl in the Straw Hat[/i]. The artwork and the stories inspired an interest then a love for the Japanese art and culture that has lingered since, touching on a variety of available pastimes from learning origami and kirigami, to learning how to play go and go-moku, but never quite reached the stage to attempt to learn the language on my own. (When I went through high-school and college, none of local programs offered any language courses outside of French, Spanish, Latin, Italian, and German (and very few even offered the last three).

Luckily, one of the students working as a tutor in a lab I was managing had decided to learn Japanese and wanted someone to study with. After I dug under a few sofa cushions to see whether I had the funds to get the texts and materials he was using, I offered to help him study. Our study sessions never really took off, but every month or so since then, I've managed to find a few days or hours to get back to studying a page or two.

Perhaps, by the time I've reached a level where I can take a JLPT or two, I'll be able to set aside enough money to take a few trips to Japan. I had looked into the Jet program, but was a bit saddened to find that I'm a bit over their age limit.
14 years ago
Report Content
alchymyst
I like studying languages. It's a sort of a strange hobby, if you think about it, but I find it fun. :) Japanese is by no means the first foreign language I picked up. I started studying more or less seriously when I got into the JET program in 2002. Then, after I got back, Japanese was put on a back burner for a few years. This summer, I decided it was a shame to let all that knowledge (or maybe those piles of manga I brought home) go to waste, and I started reviewing and studying again. I love this language, it's so unlike any other language I have studied before (and I've studied some weird ones, like Irish). I found this site a couple of weeks ago; it's been really useful for refreshing my grammar.
14 years ago
Report Content
Rainier
I'm , a third generation Japanese in the US. Though I'm not even half Japanese and only a quarter. Kind of like Jero. ;) I grew up around the little bits of Japanese culture that stuck with my mom while we were living in the deep south. For as long as I've known 1 2 3, I've known    but it never really went beyond that until I had a desire to learn the language in my teen years. So I suppose the reason I want to learn the language is mostly because of ancestry, and partially because of the interest in Japanese culture that I picked up along the way.
14 years ago
Report Content
Sairen
At first, I learned Japanese in order to understand Anime.
But now, I don't quite know, what I'm learning for. I guess, it just became a habbit.
But still, it's a lot of fun^^ And I could use it to write crib sheets, which definitely no one understands ;D

Apart from Japanese, I like languages and other cultures altogether.
14 years ago
Report Content
folderfal
In 1960, I found an origami book in my tiny town library. The book had some quite advanced models, all folded and pasted in the book in such a way that a person could unfold and re-fold. About 1980, I came across a kanji dictionary (really thick one) in a library. So I started looking up kanji from my origami books (then numbering about 100). It took me about an hour a character. In 2000 I installed an input method editor on Windows OS, turned on the writing pad and could look up characters in about a minute.

My goals are 1) be able to read novels and news; 2) watch movies.

14 years ago
Report Content
hherb
I have been on the move all my life, acquiring new languages as I went - born in Germany, school in Spain, university in Germany, then living and working in Namibia, South Africa, USA, Paraguay, Argentina, Chile, Norway - and the last 12 years in Australia. Never lived that long in a single country before. Wife reckons it is time to move on, and Japan is beckoning - whole family loves the food, the Onsen culture, and many other aspects of Japanese culture. Perhaps in 3-4 years when my youngest child finishes High School we'll move, so I'd better start learning Japanese now. And even if I don't move - the language is fun, and traveling in Japan or watching Japanese movies is more fun if one speaks the language.
14 years ago
Report Content
DrCooper1966
Well, first i was born in Japan and lived there until about 3. From then I moved to the US. My brother first learned Japanese in high school 9th grade, and i was in 3rd grade at that time. From then he taught me a lot of the things he learned, and now I'm in 11th grade, and love Japanese. I'm in year 4 in high school, and already took jlpt lvl 3. Im studying for level 2 and plan on taking it before i graduate high school. I plan to move to Japan when i get older or if not take long vacations there.
14 years ago
Report Content
I don't mean to necropost, but...

I study languages to help me understand how people in other cultures think and perceive the world. Japanese appealed to me in its difference from the European languages Ive already studied: not only its exoticism, but the challenge of a completely new writing system and, like Chinese which I also intend to study, the opportunity to more deeply understand a philosophy outside of Western confinements.
14 years ago
Report Content
blackandwild1
I'm not sure if I have a firm reason why I'm studying Japanese. I've grown up watching animated pictures, cartoons, and anime, and i'll read more manga than a regular book. In a way, I'm kinda considered an オタク, because my dad's nerdy. He's obsessed with Star Wars, and he's very into comics, cartoons and movies. Some anime too, but I'm not sure if he knows the difference. And I guess I kinda developed similar hobbies, except I'm more obsessed with music, and I'm into manga, anime, and video games. We both are very into the Fantasy world even though you catch us talking about these things all the time.
What does any of this have to do with the question? Dad had his own Fantasy Wonderland, and I have my own Japanese Wonderland, or at least that's how I thought of it when I was little. I guess it's nice to be into another culture as well as one's own. From the music to whatever's on tv to my current curiosity about Shinto (is shinto still in, by the way?), I find myself getting into the Japanese culture increasingly each day.
14 years ago
Report Content
Ladymercury
Level: 19
[quote author=Rainier link=topic=137.msg3524#msg3524 date=1260121946]
I'm , a third generation Japanese in the US. Though I'm not even half Japanese and only a quarter. Kind of like Jero. ;) I grew up around the little bits of Japanese culture that stuck with my mom while we were living in the deep south. For as long as I've known 1 2 3, I've known    but it never really went beyond that until I had a desire to learn the language in my teen years. So I suppose the reason I want to learn the language is mostly because of ancestry, and partially because of the interest in Japanese culture that I picked up along the way.
[/quote]

Pretty much this, though, I'm a in America, with the family roots beginning with my great grandfather. My family is now essentially Americanized and our level of Japanese is about comparable to Spanglish. I've shown a lot of interest in this part of my heritage and don't wanna loose it, so that's why I want to learn.
14 years ago
Report Content
omatuska
I've become interested in writing systems and wanted to understand how Chinese script works but to understand it I woudl have to learn it. I was worried that the Chinese sound/tone system would be too difficult to learn so I decided to learn Japanese where most sounds are almost identical to the sounds of Czech which is my mother tongue. I have no special interest in the culture itself or its history. But I like bonsai, japanese gardens and the food.
12 years ago
Report Content
ForteReborn
I first learn about Japan at a young age due to 'Gojira' (Aka, Godzilla.), Historical films about War World II, and learning of the atom bomb that wiped out Hiroshima. (If I am right, please correct me if I am wrong.)

I liked how Japanese sounded, it sounds easy on the ears, plus great for me to start on since there is so much references.

It has been almost two months, and still continuing to get better as I go...(Yes, sorry if I don't say much. I am not very talkative.)
12 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 2 of 4

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana