Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
ことはない
1. A is not necessary; it's OK if A is not done.
      こと  ない   
No, there's no need to apologize.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Level: 1
As per happypuppy's comment on iterinfinitas' sentence, shouldn't 「~はない」 also be included in this section? It has the same meaning as the uses outlined above.
15 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256
Yea - means the same thing. I don't think I have a grammar page up for that yet, so I'll add one when I get a chance. A lot of the grammar still (unfortunately) isn't sufficiently linked with similar/same expressions, but it'll happen! I need to make a tool to let users suggest links so the burden isn't completely on me.
15 years ago
Report Content
Couldn't はない just be added to this page?
15 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
It wouldn't fit in that well with the way the grammar dictionary is organized on the server. I'll think about if there's a better way to handle it, but for now, the best is to have a separate page that links back to this.
15 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
It's been added.
15 years ago
Report Content
aileen
The second example sentence looks to me to have a completely different meaning than the other two and the explanation. Take a look:
すことはないので、ってさい。」
It's not something you can pass by hand, so please send it in a letter.

This example is defining what type of thing (こと) we're talking about, specifying that it's a thing that's unable to be passed by hand. We're restricting it, not saying it's okay to not do it.

So, if we're talking about "A is not necessary; it's OK if A is not done." or
はない things, this example belongs under a different heading, or perhaps over in the こと entry...

That said, it clicks well with the Japanese grammar in the (very shallow) depths of my brainpan. I understand the sentence perfectly well, even though it looks contrary to the other two examples and the English definition of the grammar point.
15 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Definitely shouldn't belong in here. Took it out, thanks!
15 years ago
Report Content
First model sentence's English needs a little tweaking.

"No, there's no need to apology" should be "...apologize."
14 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Fixed, thanks!
14 years ago
Report Content
Javona
The first example sentence 「いいえ、ることはないよ。」 - I thought that る (あやまる)means to make a mistake or to err or to mislead, whereas る (あやまる) means to apologise. Can る (あやまる) also mean apologise or should it be the other kanji?
12 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Agreed, and fixed. It was bound to the incorrect vocabulary term when it was first matched up.
12 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Level: 31
In " も いない のに 、 に やる こと ない よ ", I don't understand noni. Shouldn't it be node?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Is that a user sentence? If so, you can add a comment directly on it.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Level: 31
Is that a user sentence? If so, you can add a comment directly on it.
It's an example sentence for this grammar item, I think it was even the quiz question I got.
I found it in the dictionary, and from there I could copy a clean version (copying from the quiz added the extra spaces):
ぱいもいないのに、にやることないよ
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Thanks, fixed!
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana