Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
 くる 
1. To come to A
Shows a change over time
           むずかしく なって きている  
The kanji I learn at school have gotten more difficult than before.
2. To continue A..ing; to have become A
この              ひまわり    
This flower is a sunflower that my grandmother grew from a seed.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

elsiemarley
Level: 1
I think for the second meaning, something should be put in there about how ~てくる is usually used in the past tense, since it describes something that has been happening until now (and can be presumed that it will continue to happen in the future). The times I have seen it used in the non-past tense is if it is in a conditional sentence, ie, "If you were to become/if it was to become". It might be good to contrast it with ~ていく, which is usually in the present/future tense, as it describes something that will happen continuously from now on. Now that I think about it, maybe you should change the 2nd meaning to "To continue A-ing, to have become A" or something to that effect.
15 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256
Thanks! I went ahead and updated it. Although I've gone ahead and added it myself, you can suggest relations between other grammar terms through the Quick Info box to the right of the definition. I definitely need more help in linking up related grammar, so do check that out if you ever see others that could be linked.
15 years ago
Report Content
elsiemarley
Yay! I'm glad I could help. Also, I just noticed that one of the model sentences for the first meaning needs a little tweaking of its English translation ^__^ "The kanji I *learn* at school *have* gotten more difficult than before."
15 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Fixed it up, thanks!
15 years ago
Report Content
onlyforyou
So how is the second meaning different from ける? Or is it the same?
14 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
It's pretty similar. The second form is usually used in the sense of something that started in the past, and has continued to the present. Because of that, it's almost always in the past tense, where the action continues to or ends at the time the speaker says it.

I believe this differs from つづく because it usually focuses on something that continues from the present onward. In other words, while they both show an action continuing, one focuses on what's already happened, while one focuses on what's going to happen (continue).

Does that make any sense? I feel like I might not be doing the best job at describing it.
14 years ago
Report Content
What would be the difference between:

よりしくなってきている。and がっこうでよりしくなっている。?

Or is it the same?
12 years ago
Report Content
Actually, shouldn't the second sentence of the first meaning be "is getting" or "is becoming" rather than "have gotten" or "has become". Because る adds the meaning of a continuing action that started in the past and keeps going or something.
12 years ago
Report Content
Actually, shouldn't the second sentence of the first meaning be "is getting" or "is becoming" rather than "have gotten" or "has become". Because る adds the meaning of a continuing action that started in the past and keeps going or something.
12 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
It doesn't necessarily need to continue onward; just for clarification, if it is in the past tense, the change has ended.

As for the second sentence, have become/gotten are present perfect (I believe that is the correct grammar term), and do refer to a present state - the kanji has gotten more difficult up through the present. I feel like is getting/becoming doesn't hold the nuance of a change over a period of time, just a present change.

As to the first comment..I am not sure I ever hear the first version used. I definitely hear the second.
12 years ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1464
Regarding the fourth example of the first usage, べてきて doesn't show a change, but a sequence of events (eat and then come). Shouldn't it be on the second usage of て (https://www.renshuu.org/grammar/101/)?
6 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Thanks, fixed!
6 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892

I have a problem with this example sentence from renshuu's dictionary.

ねえ、ちょっとお使いにってくってしいんだけど、いい?

According to the explanation it's supposed to be a てくる form, but then shouldn't it be ってきてしい? What am I missing?

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

You might have heard me complain about this in years past, but る is notoriously difficult to handle when conjugating in the site. I won't go into the details, but it's TERRIBLE.

I went ahead and fixed this one!

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892

lol. It's the first time I'm hearing this.
Thanks^^

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana