Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
てある
1. Describes a state after the action A takes place.
The action was done intentionally by someone.
                  ように   しておいて  
The address is written on the postcard, so please make a note of it so you don't forget it.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Level: 1
Not a big deal, but there's a typo in the third sentence.

"The address is written on the postcard, so please make a not of it so you don't forget it."

Should be "...please make a NOTE of it..."

Even though it's something insignificant, would you like me to continue notifying you of typos in the future, or not bother? I don't want to seem like a spelling/grammar nazi or anything haha ^^
14 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256
I appreciate all fixes, large or small! I'll be adding a feature in the future where you can directly write in suggestions for fixing the reibuns without having to deal with comments.
14 years ago
Report Content
elsiemarley
Maybe you can put a note that you have to use が and not を when referring to the object affected, since this structure basically turns a transitive verb into an intransitive one.
14 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Good point - why don't you add it to the 'Usage Notes (by users)' near the top - that way, you get credit for it :)
14 years ago
Report Content
elsiemarley
Done!
14 years ago
Report Content
Mirko87
Hi everyone ^^ I have 2 questions:
1) Is there a difference between:

A) ドアがまっている。
B) ドアがまってある。

both the forms should carry the meaning of "being closed" right?

2) wouldn't it be better to say "ドアがめてある"? or maybe the both are correct and the difference is:

I) ドアがまってある。(the door is closed - just a status)
II) ドアがめてある。(the door is closed as a result of human action - the door has been kept closed)

I thought that the -てある form was only preceeded by transitive verbs (like written in the note above) like める, but in the example they use "まる".

I know this is not an important point maybe, but i'm really curious about it, so if someone could help i'll be very grateful ^^
13 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Thank you for catching that typo - it's been fixed!
13 years ago
Report Content
So can i switch this out with ておく?
in the sense of "i left it...in such a state"
12 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
There is a strong link with おく in that the action was specifically done in preparation or in advance of something else.
12 years ago
Report Content
im sorry im soo simple minded im trying to process this sentence. lol sorry
12 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive
Level: 1573
the difference between てある and ておく is the sense of purpose. Something that was done and that's the end of it would use てある (the door has been closed, something has been written, etc). Something that was done to prepare for something else (put papers on the desk *so that someone can use them,* prepared food *for someone to eat* etc) would use ておく. Does that make sense?
Also, like the note above says, てある is always a current state, so it's always written in the present tense. ておく is an action that happens, so it can be in the past tense as well.
12 years ago
Report Content
noooo lol i understand the teoku form when it is"doing something to prepare for something" i understand that perfectly
im talking about another usage under teoku
and it says
"to leave as in the state A"
and the example sentences dont look like the planned or did anything in advance
now that i think of it the do kinda of run together but, i want to know for sure.
12 years ago
Report Content
joeonnguyen
what is the differences between teiru and tearu? Because both of them describe the state after action A takes place. Arigatou
9 years ago
Report Content
「たか」
Level: 6

what is the differences between teiru and tearu? Because both of them describe the state after action A takes place. Arigatou

Well, what is the difference between ある and いる? They both refer to a state of being. The former verb is for inanimate objects, while the latter is for animate objects. Is it true that this concept would apply to the てある and ている constructs as well?

8 years ago
Report Content
ネストル
Level: 122

In the first user note, in this sentence, "— with を it generally carries a nuance of preparation, much like ておく does
(e.g., ってある = I bought a Japanese dictionary. [bought it to get ready to study Japanese])", shoudn't it be ''teoku" rather than "tearu" in the example?

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

Good question. The way that I've often seen them as different is that てある focuses on the state of something already having been done, while ておく focuses on the action taking place specifically for something else. I cannot say 100%, but it is often the case where multiple ways of saying something exist, and they're all correct, they just each carry a difference nuance or focus.

1 year ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1464

てある and ておく are alike in the sense of an action preparing for something else (but not in their other usages).

The book えるのためのハンドブック gives the following pair of sentences:

のために、たくさんをしておきました。 = I studied a lot for the exam.

のために、たくさんをしてあります。 = I have been studying a lot for the exam.

While both have a very similar meaning, the second implies that the effects of the action (the studying) still remain, while the first includes no such nuance. You can think of it as me being in a state of 'readiness for the exam'.

Also, take note of the different tenses being used here. をしてありました would be gramatically incorrect.

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana