Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
ため (  ) 
1. Because of A; due to A
     ため      
The closing of school was due to the snow.
2. For the purpose/sake of A; in order to A
あなた     ために        
I was born to love you.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

mireille
Level: 1
1. meaning: な adjective + な + ため・ために
2. meaning: ない form verb + ため ・ ために
(Unicom - Bun no Rule)
14 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256
Added!
14 years ago
Report Content
Hzin
Noun + の + ため + の + Noun Verb (plain nonpast) + ため + の + Noun for [the sake of ...] for [the purpose of doing something] N1,N2,N3,N4,N5 は レヴェル,わかりません?
11 years ago
Report Content
catgirl
Level: 99
[quote author=Hzin link=topic_id=5060&post_id=30318#rmsg_30318 date=1379223804]Noun + の + ため + の + Noun Verb (plain nonpast) + ため + の + Noun for [the sake of ...] for [the purpose of doing something] [/quote] Could you please give an example for the two constructions? Thank you!
11 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
テストの is one.. テストをけるための is one along the same lines.
11 years ago
Report Content
catgirl
Level: 99
Thanks for the examples! I couldn't think of any myself, but now I see how the construction works :D
11 years ago
Report Content
Lang_learner
what is the difference between ため and から for "because"? thanks in advance! :)
10 years ago
Report Content
できるだけ
Level: 28
ため is a noun, and you can generally think of it as "purpose" or "reason." It functions grammatically the way nouns normally do, so you can use it with a verb (っているため), an adjective (いため), or a noun + の (のため). When used as part of an adverb phrase giving a reason, it's frequently seen as ために. から is a conjunction - it's a lot more like English "because." Unlike ため, you can use it with です・ます verbs as well as plain form; also unlike ため, it needs to follow です or だ when used with a noun (だから).
10 years ago
Report Content
Lang_learner
Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me できるだけ! It is much appreciated! :)
10 years ago
Report Content
benjiz
Level: 6
I dont see how the example 「のおした。」 has anything to do with this grammar point ;)
9 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Removed it, thanks!
9 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Level: 1144
Both of the example sentences that go with the Kao pictures on this page are for the second grammar point on the page, even though the first one is shown next to grammar point 1.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Nuts, how did we accidentally do two for the same grammar expression? :(
5 years ago
Report Content

In the user notes under the first usage of ため(に) it differentiates that including に transforms the meaning from causative (because of A) to “for/for the sake of”. However the ために quick examples and example sentences don’t seem to use it in this way. Can anyone confirm in what way the particle に modifies ため and when to use it?

7 months ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1464

I think it could have been better phrased...

ため usually indicates a cause and ために usually indicates a purpose, but it's not absolute.

Research suggests it's about a 70%-30% split for both (taken from *):

You can differentiate the meanings based on either construction (only the first meaning allows adjectives) or by context - an uncontrollable action/situation (e.g. rain or traffic) would signal a cause, while a controllable one, a purpose.

* https://eprints.lib.hokudai.ac.jp/dspace/bitstream/2115/45643/1/BISC008_002.pdf

7 months ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana