Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
ごとく, ごとき
1. Like A; as if A
  ごとき                
I probably won't get another guy like him.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Level: 4
I'm pretty sure the form changes based on what follows. I.e. if the following clause is a verb, I think it's ごときに, and if it's a noun, I think it's ごとく. This will serve as a reminder though for me to check my grammar book later on.
13 years ago
Report Content
モモ
Level: 1
Yes, is right. Though, ごとき has two different meanings. The one this grammar defines itself as has the following rules:

AごとくB (when B is a verb or adjective):

Nの (not optional) ごとく...
V()がごとく...
[]かのごとく...

AごときB (when B is a NOUN)

NのごときNoun
V()がごときNoun
[]かのごときNoun

When ごとく will be ending the sentence:

○○○のごとし。

The grammar was reminded of is a different meaning, with the particle afterward being decided based on what verb is being used later in the clause and it typically preceded by たかがNounごとき(_)

Hope that helps. ^^
13 years ago
Report Content
ごとし is also used with these
12 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892

1. In the construction section it says "underlined parts are optional", but... there are no underlines anywhere.

2. For ごとく it says N + ごとく without の, but all example sentences use N + の + ごとく. (Maybe that's where the underlines come in?)

3. It's written in the comments but not in the construction itself. It should be clarified that it's ごとく + verb/adjective and ごとき + noun.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261

1. The text about underline parts appears on all pages.

2. Fixed.

3. I expanded this out, and added a bit more information above.

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana