Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
かか    かか  なく 
1. Even though A
たくさん     にもかかわらず  いつまで           上手       
Even though I've practiced a lot, no matter how long I try, I haven't become good at billiards.
2. Regardless of A; without relation to A
When present, A and B are the positive and negative forms of the same word (するしな、あるなし、etc.)
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Level: 1
My grammar book says that にかかわらず and にもかかわらず are two different constructions with different meanings.

にかかわらず means "without relation to A"
にかかわらず、よくれる。

にもかかわらず means "even though A"
にもかかわらず、けた。
13 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261
You're right - looks like there were some typos on the initial entry of the grammar. Thanks for pointing it out!
13 years ago
Report Content
Level: 1
No problem!
13 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892
What's the difference between this かかわらず #1 and the separate entry of にもかかわらず (https://www.renshuu.org/gramma...)?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
They look to be the same!

That being said, they somehow both got added into separate grammar quizzes, so I'm going to leave them separate.
5 years ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1484

According to the Bunkei Jiten, with a verb or adjective in the second usage (regardless), you need to use opposing forms (e.g. くないにかかわらず or するしないにかかわらず). But the third example and the construction don't seem to reflect that.

8 months ago
Report Content
マイコー

Thanks! I've adjusted the meaning slightly and moved it up to usage #1.

8 months ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1484

I still see the same construction as before (V+にかかわらず, no mention of opposites or adjectives).

8 months ago
Report Content
マイコー

Made some additional adjustments to the meaning and usage patterns.

8 months ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana