Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.

1. A, but/however B
Used to show a contradiction or opposite.
         明日       
It is sunny now, but it seems like it will be rainy tomorrow.
2. Marks the subject A in the sentence
すみません             
I'm sorry; I broke the plate.
3. That A (negative, abusive)
A+め (usually followed by が) is a word that has a negative, abusive nuance: あいつめ, あほうめ, etc.
餓鬼ども             
A crowd of those dang kids packed in.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

kawaii_inu
Level: 1
I've heard that が is also used for pairing two sentences, for example ったががたくさんありました。 (I went to the department store and I found lots of goodies).
13 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 260
I haven't heard of that usage - I've always seen it showing a 'but/however' meaning when connecting the two. Checked a grammar dictionary and it backed that up. If you have a textbook or resource that refers to that usage, do let me know. Thanks!
13 years ago
Report Content
kawaii_inu
Well, I've seen this on Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese. Right now the site is down so I cannot view it to give you a link to the article :) But I'll try later...
13 years ago
Report Content
kawaii_inu
Viewing this on archive.org : http://replay.web.archive.org/20080705115013/http://www.guidetojapanese.org/compound.html 3rd paragraph after the examples at "Expressing contradiction using 「が」 and 「けど」" . (Sorry, I don't want to spam and I hope it's not considered my comment a spam)
13 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Thanks for the followup. I'm going to talk to a Japanese professor at school and see what additional info they can give before I add it.
13 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Ok, talked to a Japanese teacher about this. It is valid, but the usage is not (according to her) as general as simply just pairing two sentences.

Using the example that you gave, she said that it most likely (it is difficult to tell without context) that the part prior to the が is previously known knowledge (to the listener), while the part following it is new information. She wasn`t 100% confident that this was the only way it could be used in the joining sense, but said that this usage definitely exists.

Hope this helps!
13 years ago
Report Content
kawaii_inu
Oh, I see!!!! Sorry for getting you in so much trouble! I really appreciate it!!
13 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
*laughs* no trouble at all - it was new to me, so it helped out!
13 years ago
Report Content
Level:
I have heard conflicting things about using が vs. けど to contrast clauses. Most natives I have asked say that が is generally used after verbs/adjectives in polite form, and けど is used after the dictionary form. Various textbooks also say something along these lines. But at the same time, I see and hear countless examples of this 'general rule' being thrown out the window. What's the consensus on this? けど is undoubtedly somewhat less formal, but is it fine to use が after plain inflections? Is there a difference in nuance or something?
12 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
These pages do not get as much traffic as the forums do (I wish I could figure out a way to fix that) - and this is a really interesting question, so you may want to post in the forums as well.
12 years ago
Report Content
Belgand
I happened across this [url=http://nihonshock.com/2010/02/particles-the-difference-between-wa-and-ga/]explanation of the difference between 「は」 and 「が」[/url] and thought it might be useful. It does a pretty good job of getting into the details of this fairly tricky concept.
12 years ago
Report Content
beru123
べますが。 べません。 はベルです。 any body want talk with Japanese means mail me. we will chat.
11 years ago
Report Content
IJamLegend
Is there literally no rules as to what you can put the が after? If so, this seems preferable to けど because there's less chance i'll mess up in speech haha
9 years ago
Report Content
Level: 122

First off, thanks to Belgand for that review, I think I'm getting the idea of 「は」Vs「が」but I'm still left with a question.

He said that "「が」 is also used when utilizing き, い, and other adjectives." so would that mean that a sentence such as 「い。」would make sense in this spectrum? If so, would this purely be adding an emphasis to the fact that today and not some other day is cold?

Thanks in advance :)

8 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|
Level: 110

This usage below of が at the end of the sentence is missing: link
ののしるちをす。ける。「この鹿ものめ―」

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Do you have an example of this?

4 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|
Level: 110

yes, from that previous link:

usage:
にののしる「め」をったものにいて)ののしりのめる。

examples sentences:

「この鹿ものめが」

「このあほうめが」

「あいつめが」

Given how it is used, right now I'm friendly calling it "the cursing が" 

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Added!

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana