Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Brush calligraphy

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

Nefelibata
Level: 1
Does anyone here practice or have any interest in brush calligraphy ( or )? I practice a little but I find it hard to gather more info about. As I kinda can't browse into japanese web to search yet, I thought if we could exchange something in here =) What do you think?
11 years ago
Report Content
I used to do calligraphy when I was living in Yokohama, but haven't done it since I moved to Shizuoka. What are you looking for?
11 years ago
Report Content
Nefelibata
I'd like to know if there are some material for reference as well as informative ones. I'd just love finding good books explaining extensively the styles, information about historical calligraphers and their masterpieces, the origins and transformations that kanji have undergone, and historical evidence of these things. Yeah, the way I'm putting it makes it sound way easier that it must be, but actually I have not even the basic means to get seriously started into this matter. I mean, I do it like a hobby too, as all my peers that practice it do, but I'd really like to understand the art historically and conceptually as well, not just say things based on guesses. There are some sites that offer really interesting stuff, but still the info seems to me way too sparse yet, not to mention that the sources are not always indicated, and when they are, not always accessible to me - be it because they are in pure japanese so I can't cope well with yet, be it because they are simply non-acessible here where I live at all. But then again, such things as I wrote up there are almost in an academic level of demanding, hahaha. However, I thought whether someone here, just like you, , had practiced calligraphy so I could just hear from them about their experiences, which would be amazingly enriching already. That said, could you say how was the way you practiced calligraphy back then, ? What materials did you use to copy, method, etc.? Did you received any info aside the brush technique? These kind of things, you know, or any other you find interesting to share. As you see, I have very little on this topic (practically only my sheer liking to the art) so anything that you or anyone here could or would like to say about calligraphy would be just nice to me to read. Thank you =)
11 years ago
Report Content
I was taught in a group class. Basically, I attended 4 lessons and got bored with it since we did the same character, , each class (even though I was repeatedly told that my character was done well -_-;). I can understand wanting to drill the basics into someone, but 6 hours of writing the same character is rather, well, boring. So, I stopped going. The information that you're looking for is probably best found in a university/college library nearest you. Living in Brazil, you must have access to quite a bit of Japanese material. Otherwise, Google is your friend. Good luck.
11 years ago
Report Content
ali_chan
Hi, I just started studying calligraphy! I'm currently staying with a host family in Japan, and luckily for me, my host mother is a calligraphy teacher and offered to teach me. So far I've only had two lessons and done very simple things (in the first lesson I wrote the numbers ,, and , and the second one I did first and then あめ after that), but I already feel like I've learnt a lot! I would be happy to swap tips or just chat about our experiences if you'd like :)
11 years ago
Report Content
Nefelibata
That's great, ali_chan! Before any more concrete tips or experience swapping, I'd like to ask you some things: what's the right manner to use and wash the brushes? The first washing, that one that removes that glue-like substance that protects the brushes' hair; we must wash away all of it or leave some in the base? And the extent to what we drown the brush in the ink, is it to be 1/3, 2/3 or all of the hair? And finally, in washing after use, do we need to apply pressure from fingers on it or just leave the water wash the ink away slowly but gently? I kinda do some friction on the hair to help the ink to be washed away, but sometimes, one or two of them end up being plucked... Finally, is it bad to let the ink get dry and hard on the brush? Can we reuse it without washing in this state, or we must go through removing all the dry and hard ink of it? Does it spoil the brushes? Well, sure is a lot of things that are more procedural than practical, maybe, but I've never been told for sure what to do about this... Thanks, ali_chan, and good luck in your calligraphy learning! If you want, we could exchange some pieces, what do you think? Thanks again!
11 years ago
Report Content
shadowchateu
I would like to start learning calligraphy as well, but Im not even sure what type of brush to use. I have went to a few shops in town and no one offers a brush for ink. Should i use a brush ment for general mediums or order one online, and wheres the best place to get one?
11 years ago
Report Content
Nefelibata
Unfortunately, shadowchateu, I can't suggest where you might buy the calligraphy tools online, because I always bought mine in traditional japanese shops here in my city (where we have a good deal of japanese immigrants). About the kind of brush, I'm not sure if anyone can do... at least, I've never used "ordinary" brushes to do calligraphy, neither have seen anyone do that, but who knows. What I know is that calligraphy brushes have a large variety of types, and it seems that most of them, at least, use some combination of animal hair. If you find some brush made of that, maybe it will do, I wonder? Well, really, the best would be if someone here could confirm that for sure... But please, don't give up! I find that calligraphy is a marvelous thing and I'd pretty like to share this experience with more people! Good luck!
11 years ago
Report Content
shadowchateu
thank you and i will keep looking definately.
11 years ago
Report Content
みさこ
[font=impact][size=10pt][/size][/font][color=red][/color]I :-* calligraphy!
10 years ago
Report Content
Suzume

I did a bit of calligraphy with my Japanese class. I was really bad at it...

We basically watched this video .

This is the brush I used: http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Calligraphy-Brush-T...

And the ink: http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Calligraphy-Black-I...

Rice paper: http://www.amazon.com/sheets-Japanese-Chinese-Call...

Hope that helps a little bit!

8 years ago
Report Content
emily_parker
Yes, calligraphy is attractive art and without a good knowledge, you can’t make it. One of my friend used a beautiful brush calligraphy Japanese kanji design painting in her bedroom brought a well know online store name as Sumigraphy .That was very impressive.

Hope it will help others.

8 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana