Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - N3 kanji listed as N2?

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Exams Talk: JLPT, Kanji Kentei

DianaVS
Level: 20

Hi there!

I am currently studying for N3, and for the kanji part of it I am using the book マスターN3.

I have noticed that some of the kanji that appear in this book are graded as N2 in Renshuu. For example:

These are all in the first lesson of the book.

I have started my own study lessons (vocab), introducing vocab from this book so I can remember it better, but I have noticed that kanji like those mentioned above are greyed out and with furigana. I am using the lightbulb in each of them so the next time they appear as known kanji (is this right?), but I was wondering if maybe something is amiss with the kanji grading?

Thanks!

7 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

Not exactly. There are no official N3/N2 (or N anything) lists available for the JLPT. There used to be many years ago, but a change in the JLPT specifications removed all official lists. Because of that, all textbooks/websites you see are using their best guess for these lists. In most cases, N5, N4, and N1 are about the same as the level 4,3,1 lists of the old style. However, when they switched over to the "new" JLPT, they added N3 as a step between the old levels 3 and 2. (it was a really large "jump" in terms of content). So there was a bit of a scramble to decide what belonged in N3, and what should stay in N2.

If you want to mark them as known so you stay in line with the textbook you are utilizing, then you can mark them with the lightbulb like you are doing!

7 years ago
Report Content
DianaVS

Thanks for the reply! That's what I thought... I am also marking them with the + sign and adding them to the N3 Kanji list, will they also appear in kanji quizzes this way?

I guess that's also why most of the JLPT Vocab lessons for N3 and N2 are shared. This means that if I want to cover as much content for N3 as possible, I need to introduce already the shared lessons, right?

On the bright side, when the time comes to prepare for N2, it'll be easier! ^^

7 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

The lightbulb marks something as known. It is most useful for kanji, as it will tell the site "Hey, I know this, show it in vocab throughout the site". The + will add it to a lesson or schedule for direct studying.

And you're right about the shared lessons!

7 years ago
Report Content
DianaVS

Got it, thank you! ^^

7 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Exams Talk: JLPT, Kanji Kentei

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana