Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
に基づいて/に基づき/に基づく
1. Based on A

Using the instruction manual, I assembled the bookshelf by myself.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Level: 1

This seems similar to 「にじて」, especially since the English translations in sentences using 「にじて」 often use 'based on'.

Am I correct in assuming that this grammar pattern can only be used for things that have already happened in the past, whereas 「にじて」 is used when talking about in response to / based on things as soon as they happen?

7 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

I wouldn't say so much it is something in the past, but rather the usage.

With , as you pointed out, it refers to based on. Whatever it is referring to isn't something that is being reacted to, though. In order words, the target of the action is not pointed back at the original thing. Using one of the examples from this page:

Model: 「づいてだなてた

Using the instruction manual, I assembled the bookshelf by myself.

Your actions of assembling the bookshelf are not pointed back at the instruction manual - the manual doesn't "receive" the action in any way.

Compare this to にじて. The most common usage is, as you noted, "in response to"

Model: 「ソフトよくあるじるこのページあります

This page has the responses to frequently asked software questions.

In this case, the page includes answers/responses that deal directly with the questions. Put another way, the page is used to satisfy whatever needs the questions created.

Someone else might be able to put up a clearer explanation, but I hope this helps!

7 years ago
Report Content

Though it's still not 100% clear, I think I get the general gist of it now. Thanks!

7 years ago
Report Content
shirokitsune
Level: 1023

The last construction example is poorly highlighted/explained

Examples:

づく (tactics based on history)

Based on the highlighted area (not the actual Japanese) users might think that it means "History based on tactics." as the explanation states the grammar point is Based on "A" and the highlited word ("A") is tactics in this case.

6 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Actually, that highlighting is not the grammar, it's the highlighting for unknown vocabulary on the site. I don't have that setting turned on, and there is no coloring on my page :)

6 years ago
Report Content
shirokitsune
Level: 1023
wow now I feel really stupid haha. I already knew those words so I thought that could not possibly be it. I guess I just have not studied them here :P
6 years ago
Report Content
kikai97
Is there any difference between にづく and and にづいた when it comes before a noun? It certainly is not related to the tense of the sentence because there's this sentence in マスター
では、づくいいくことができた。」

Thanks! 
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I just pulled this up:

https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q12109836277

According to this, they are all the same for all intents and purposes.
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana