Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - About Mastered Terms (in Stats page)

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

マイコー
Level: 256

So, I realized there might be some confusion with how the Mastered Terms get calculated (level 9 or higher). Currently, it must be level nine for all studyable vectors. So, for a kanji character, for example, you'd need 9 on ALL the following: onyomi, kunyomi, stroke count, definition, radical.

This is a bit of a clash with the reality of most of the users on the site, who (as per the site's own recommendations) only study 3 or 4 vectors in any given schedule.

So I am considering a change to mastered being considered level 9 in 3 or more study vectors.

Thoughts?

6 years ago
Report Content
GodlyDan
Level: 1

Now that we're on this topic, I remember I used to have like 400 or 500 mastery 9 kanji way back, but recently I noticed the counter went back to 0. Nowadays I don't study stroke count anymore as it did really slow down everything to a crawl but the thing is, I thought that maybe it was because I stopped coming for some time and somehow the kanji experienced some sort of "degradation" thus explaining the counter resetting (does this degradation happens on the site though?). Then had a quick glance at my stats after reading this thread and decided to test with a kanji and there's this:

3qzbgeqnxggmxye0scj5h6eaf.png

which confuses me. So they are or aren't at level 9?

Also taking into account the topic of mastery levels, could I suggest we get a level 10 of sorts? I've been looking around different SRS systems and some can go up to years before the next review (Anki), or they modify accordingly to the rate of how you forget stuff and user settings of the system to keep a certain amount of retention (Supermemo) for items with a great deal of prior studying and certainly the current one in the site makes it a very harsh one, repetitions-wise, for highly studied terms. One should consider that for a certain amount of items, the frequency at which one finds them is considerably high in-between reviews, say with words like which most likely will appear in anything you do, be it reading a newspaper, watching a movie, a book or even in daily conversation.

An extra interval would be more of a maintenance level rather than a learning or reviewing one (which I think could also be said for the current levels 9 and even 8 and 7) while keeping the reviews effortful and not trivial and eliminating excess of reviews for those that already have studied a considerable amount of items. Poking around different users' stats with 25% and up of my own studied terms that have an incredibly high accuracy and pretty long study streaks still do an astounding amount of reviews per week even when not adding new terms for a while, which according to the number of terms they have studied and how their "mastery/days per review/when they studied it" relationship probably behaves they most likely peaked or are close to in terms of minimal amount of reviews per day goes which doesn't look appealing at all. And it would make the "Mastered terms (level 9 or higher)" sentence make sense with a higher level, heh.

TOO LONG, DIDN'T READ;

-Used to have mastery 9 kanji, now they aren't counted but they're still level 9 on everything, why is that?

-An extra 10th mastery level would be nice to reduce reviews long-term without the hassle of manually eliminating terms one deems known enough to not review anymore.

And back to your original question which I somehow deviated from. Yes, I think it wouldn't be bad at all to consider it mastered with less vectors as different people consider mastery differently. I value writing and all but some people don't really care much about writing and won't take Kanken tests so stroke count would certainly be useless for them to review, yet are still able to use it with a good amount of flexibility.

6 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Looks like the mastered numbers disappeared a week ago, not sure why. Just restored them.

I'll think about the mastery levels, but am not planning any major changes at the moment.

6 years ago
Report Content
ロンダ
Level: 1661

I study all 9 vectors when available; but I think 4 vectors at level 9 would be a good option for determining mastery

6 years ago
Report Content
m1
Level: 16
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I was wondering how this actually works, but this makes sense and I wouldn't change it, even though this would mean I'll probably won't master any items for a few years to come.
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892
I used to study all possible vectorsat first, but with increasing number of vocab these schedules tended to overflow. The terms to study per day amounted to several hundred per schedule. Not only is the sight of it discouraging, it also becomes quite a burden with a limited time frame for studying.

When I look at my overall schedule health, I have many terms in Level 9, but only one of them recently made it into the stats. I was always wondering about that, but now I understand the reason. I'd support the idea of downscaling it to 3 vectors per term.
Definition --> Kanji for instance doesn't support terms that either don't use kanji or where the kanji are unknown to the user. So unless one uses Definition --> Kana also, some terms will remain unstudied. For that reason, I practically never study Def. --> Kanji or Kanji --> Def. Instead I focus on the reading vectors. Additionally, even with "simple definitions", some definitions are soo long, that a Kana/Kanji --> Definition vector is very impractical especially on mobile devices.

This probably doesn't belong here, but since I already tapped into this topic...
Some terms have noumerous meanings. When I learn a new term, I usually connect it with a certain definition. That definition however, seldom appears right at the top. Is it not somehow possible to highlight the meaning I'm looking for or maybe individualise the "simple definiton" option? (e.g. In Kanji schedules one can check and uncheck the different readings of a kanji.) I prefer using the dictionary terms rather than creating my own because of the example sentences.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I don't think it'd be ideal to restrict it to 3 vectors when those may or may not be what other users have. I think a better solution would be to let users customize what they consider to be the vectors they want to study. 

That would unfortunately be a bit tricky on the backend as it currently builds those statistics using a single call against the database - it would need to split into individual ones, so I would need to think of a way to simply this before I implement it. I'm sure there's a good way to do it, I just need to think on it.

Regarding the other issue:

I do want to let users individualize the definitions - turn off ones they don't need, or just overwrite them entirely with ones they prefer. This has been requested a number of times.

Because this was not anticipated when the site was first made, it would be *extremely* difficult to implement this given the way the site's backend is set up. Chalk it up to me not being the best developer 10 years ago, but there is a LOT of code that would need to be overwritten.

That being said, I just thought of a way that....might work. Would need to test some things. Like almost every other solution I've come up with until now, they usually hit me in a burst of inspiration. 

So, the first one is probably more doable. The second one will take more time, but I am starting up a beta real soon, so I can test it out there.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Update: the second one is moving along very smoothly! The beta round will be up soon for testing!
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
So, I was looking at the first one, and thinking about it.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but if you go to the Stats page, then click the settings icon, you can toggle on/off panels on the page. Additionally, you can change the settings for each panel.

For the grammar/kanji/vocabulary panels, you can currently define what a mastered term is as a term with average/minimum (you choose) level of (you choose).

This should help I think. Please play with those, and let me know if you're happy with that set up.

The custom definitions are all good, please look for the renshuu beta announcement next week!
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of it at all. Changed some settings, will see if it actually makes a different...

I'm looking forward to the beta^^
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana