Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Confusion regarding が / Interpretation

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Buu
Level: 1
Hello, hello. After a rather long absence from Japanese, I have started dabbling in it again and as expected, one does forget quite a few things when not using a language for a long time.(

In any case, my question pertains to a key element of the Japanese language and one I know have struggled a lot with back then as well - interpretation of sentences. Now I'm not even quite sure if the question I'm about to ask is valid in the first place but we'll see. I'm going to give you the dialogue in question, taken from the videogame Romancing SaGa in its original form (excellent game by the way, if anybody fancies a challenging RPG!) As for some context, the persons involved are the king Leon and both his sons Victor and Gerald. The king and Gerald have just returned to their castle from a bout of fighting monsters, with Victor awaiting them.

ヴィクトール「、おりなさいませ。ジェラール、ケガはないか?」
ジェラール「だよ、さん。まといにならないようにするのがやっとだけどね」
ヴィクトール「いよりもがあるようです。れてかずともよいではありませんか。いはめです」
レオン「ってきたというが、いがまるはない。いもくだろう。ジェラールもねてヴィクトールのとしてかねばならぬのだ。」
ヴィクトール「ジェラールのかすべきでは・・」

Suddenly one of the guards barges in:

ガード「オアイーブというがおりをっておりますが?」
レオン「またか。ってくるな。がない。してやれ」
「おりがかないましてです、。」
レオン「まだおいな。というからりかとっておったわ。・・おまえがってよいぞ」

Victor and Gerald leave the room.

ヴィクトール「あのはついてたな。るダシに使ったわけだ

Probably more context than is necessary but never mind that. My question concerns the bolded part in the last sentence that is spoken. Having looked at the official English translation, it says Father used her as an excuse to break off the conversation. Makes sense. The female sorcerer has been trying for an audience ever since and now she's finally got the chance to see the king.
Anyway, the statement seems clear as day. Now for the question: Dismissing the context, would it be possible to interpret this sentence as I [as in Victor] used the chance to break off father's conversation as well? If yes, is my only chance at understanding it correctly by inferring from context? And if not, why? How would I say it in the way I just presented as alternative translation? Oftentimes I seem to have trouble differentiating which segments belong together and the が sure isn't any more helpful.

If anybody wants to see the thing in motion, here's the video, the part in question starts at 24:16:

EDIT: Doesn't seem like I can embed the video, in any case here's the link: https://youtu.be /XrqAClpibWQ
Just remove the space inbetween.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! 
5 years ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1464
I'm not sure I'm the right person to respond, but I'll give it a try.
The particle が is used to indicate the subject of a relative clause. For instance, in これはんだです (these are the jewels he stole), が is used to signify that 'he' is the thief.
In your case, it identifies 'father' as being the one to break off the conversation. To translate it as "I broke off father's conversation", I would expect る or something similar.
There are, of course, constructs where context is crucial. E.g. in んでいます, it's ambiguous whether the child of Asahiko and Haruno is playing in the park or whether Haruno's child is playing together with Asahiko.
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana