Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - All known readings required for "Fill in the Blank" Kanji questions

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Elessar
Level: 266
Getting back into reviewing Japanese after a few months' break, I noticed a change in how the "Fill in the Blank" Kanji questions evaluate correct answers. Before, when I was answering a "Fill in the Blank" question (specifially: Kanji → Onyomi & Kunyomi), if I only wrote one of each answer (1 onyomi & 1 kunyomi), even if there were more "known" readings (:2 kunyomi), the question would still be marked as correct.

Now, if I do the same kind of question, if I don't write ALL the "known" readings, the question is marked as incorrect, even if all the readings I did enter are correct.

Is this an intentional change, or is it inadvertent?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262
Welcome back!

Yes, this was intentional - after feedback from a number of users, it was updated so that you are not "cheating" (not intentionally, of course) by only recalling a subset of what you've actually studied - the original behavior could create the data/impression that you have mastered the readings even if certain ones have consistently been omitted.

That being the case, I'm happy to field feedback regarding the change!
5 years ago
Report Content
Elessar
Thanks for clarifying. I can certainly appreciate the reasoning behind the change. I have a few points of feedback on the change.

First, there are cases where the readings are identical, except for a dash. For example, today I reviewed 「」, which has readings of both 「あま」 and 「あま-」 listed. However, it's not easy to remember when a kanji has a dash form of a reading listed, and I feel that there isn't any benefit to the learner of having to type out both, when a simple 「あま」 would show that he's learned the reading.

Also, similar to the first point, there are several readings where one reading is simply a copy of the other with diacritics (either dakuten or handakuten). I came across this today as well in reviewing 「」, which has as onyomi readings both 「ハン」 and 「バン」。 I recognize that at a beginner level, this may not be intuitive, but for everyday usage, this becomes a fairly easily deduced reading.

Finally, should obscure readings be marked as known by adding one or two rare vocabulary terms, it forces the learner to either go back to the kanji and turn it off, or else spend his study time reviewing a little-known reading simply because he wanted to learn a specific word. (If this is not how readings get automatically marked as known, please disregard.)

I'm not sure whether or not the third point bears any attention, but for the first two, I would like the ability to only have to type in one reading in these instances.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
The first two, I think I can definitely handle. Give me some time to work on it!
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
The first two have been fixed - please look for them in the beta starting next week!

For the rare reading, what setting do you have in your settings > Kanji > hide rare kanji readings?
5 years ago
Report Content
Elessar
Great! I look forward to it!

As for the setting, I have it turned on. I guess that alleviates the concern of my third point. Thanks for the reminder!
5 years ago
Report Content
Elessar
The first two have been fixed - please look for them in the beta starting next week!

For the rare reading, what setting do you have in your settings > Kanji > hide rare kanji readings?

Thanks for addressing it so quickly! Here's a bit of feedback on the changes.

I'll use the following kanji as an example:

Kunyomi: こた.える, こた.え, こた, こたえ
Onyomi: トウ
Strokes: 12
Radical name: たけかんむり

If I enter 「こたえる」 for kunyomi, and 「とう」 for onyomi, there are two things that come up which I would like changed, if possible.

The first is that when the page reloads and tells me that I didn't enter all the possible kunyomi, it retains my previous kunyomi answer(s), but not my onyomi. (And vice-versa when it happens with onyomi.) I would prefer that the page retains all terms that I have entered. (In which case, does the whole page have to reload? Perhaps it can simply show the message similar to the "You left the question blank, press [enter] once more to submit." button.)

The other is that for cases like this, where the remaining answers are sub-strings of the answer(s) given, I would prefer that the question should be able to accept that as having provided the other answers, and not ask for them to be typed separately.

That being said, the current setup is certainly an improvement, and if no further changes are made, I'd probably be fine with it.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
The first thing sounds like a bug, and I'll get to it asap!

The second - are you actually entering in こたえる exactly? If so, it should be rejecting that outright. I'm guessing you mean こた.える?

If that's the case, it could probably work where it would then mark off こた.え and こた, but not こたえ (as that is a different reading).

Is this correct?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Both issues, based on my understanding, are now resolved!
5 years ago
Report Content
Elessar
マイコー は 03 24, 8:21に
The second - are you actually entering in こたえる exactly? If so, it should be rejecting that outright. I'm guessing you mean こた.える?

If that's the case, it could probably work where it would then mark off こた.え and こた, but not こたえ (as that is a different reading).

Is this correct?
Actually, I'm entering 「こたえる」, not 「こた。える」. If I type 「こた。える」, will it recognize 「。」 as 「.」? Because if it doesn't, I would find it very frustrating if I had to switch keyboard layouts from Japanese to English, then back to Japanese simply to type out a single kunyomi reading.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Yea, it isn't picky about the punctuation! こたえる is entirely incorrect as it doesn't show if the user knows where the kanji ends and the stem begins.

That being said, I just updated that mode so it would stop converting the . to 。altogether. Hope this helps!
5 years ago
Report Content
Elessar
For now it looks like the little quirks have been taken care of. Thanks for your hard work!
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Just for anyone else following, these changes are currently in the beta version only.
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana