Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Forum text input doesn't play nice with Google keyboard

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

htatsuha
Level: 1144
Not sure if this is an Android problem, a Google keyboard problem, or a mobile issue in general. Text input doesn't behave normally in input fields in the forum only, the rest of the site is fine. Problems include letters or spaces before the most recently entered word being deleted, usually after using text suggestions or backspacing a word (might be related to keyboard setting which auto adds a space after selecting a suggested word?), the first entered letter of a word not appearing after the word is selected from suggestions, usually after backspacing a word, and also, when beginning to type in the post box, auto capitalization doesn't trigger for the first word and word suggestions also don't show up until a few words in. I haven't had this issue on any other site, so I assume it's related to the forum specifically.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256
https://imperavi.com/redactor/

Can you see if the problem repeats itself there? That is the library that the text input uses.
5 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Yep, exact same problems.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I can send in a bug report - can you provide the technical info (model, os version, keyboard version), and a discrete set of steps to create the issue? I'll send it through my customer account - they've been pretty fast addressing things in the past.
5 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Model: Kyocera Duraforce Pro E6820TM
Keyboard: Gboard 7.6.13.215505041-release-arm64-v8a

Steps to reproduce
Disabled auto-capitalization and word suggestions: Just start typing in the post box or press enter to start a new line. When you start typing, the first letter will be lowercase and no word suggestions will appear above the keyboard until the first word is completely typed.

Deleted text: I can't figure out how to reproduce this consistently. I just know that when I'm trying to make a bug post, I have to rewrite stuff a bunch of times because after I finish typing a word, I see the space before it disappear and it gets merged with the word before it, or sometimes the first letter disappears. I know it's triggered by some combination of backspacing and using word suggestions. Ironically, now that I'm writing a bug post about the issue, I haven't triggered it once. It...might only happen in the first post of a thread? I'll try and test that and update my post in a bit.
*update*: it appears I was right, the text disappearing issue only seems to happen in the parent post of the thread. It can be triggered by typing a word or selecting a word suggestion, then backspacing the word but not the space before it (only triggers for a word that isn't the first in the post) and typing a new word or selecting a word suggestion after that. When the new word is finished, the space before the word, and sometimes also the first letter of the new word and/or last letter of the preceding word in the sentence disappear. So an example would be typing "this issue", backspacing to "this ", typing "bug", and although the result should be "this bug", getting "thisbug"/"thiug"/"thisug"/"thibug".

Also, something I noticed when I tried editing my first post in this thread to test this, after selecting edit, there were two editable post fields that appeared instead of the normal one. Both were usable, but I could only trigger the deleted text bug in one of them.

So it looks like they should know that the main problem with deleted text appears to be connected to whatever difference there is between a post that starts a new thread and a regular thread reply. However, the other problems occur in either post type.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Sorry, a bit confused. So, this issue was also occurring on the site I linked you to, right? So whether it is a parent post or reply should not matter for the underlying issue. I can't link them to inside of renshuu; have you been able to reliably replicate it on the external site as well, or is it only occasionally happening there?

Thanks!
5 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
All the problems happen consistently on the linked site. I'm just saying that on renshuu, I could only replicate the deleted text bug in initial thread posts, but not in replys, although the other bugs happen no matter what post type it is. I remember there being at least one other bug before on the forum which only occurred in the first post of a thread, so I assumed there must be some difference between how initial and subsequent thread posts are coded, but maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, the steps I gave above to reproduce the deleted text bug work consistently on the linked site, and when trying to edit the initial post of this thread, but not when making a reply in this thread.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Got it, thanks a lot! I'll send it to them, and will let you know when we get an answer.
5 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Thanks!
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
The editor software makers never got back to me, but they did update the software, so I uploaded the version on renshuu to the newest. Let me know if you can still replicate the issue. Thanks!
5 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Definitely still getting these issues, but now they all also occur in comments, not just the first post. Guess the update made the bug more consistent lol.
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana