Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Grammar point or not?

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Karlla
Level: 892
I've been wondering if V(stem) + V (+ ending) is an actual grammar point or not. We tap into it with ~ます and ~はじめる, but actually all kinds of verbs can be combined in that way. Some of which even made it into the dictionary. 
We encounter them (maybe subconsciously) in all kinds of texts, and I'd like to know if there are some rules applied to it. e.g. Which is the main verb? Which one is supplementary? Are there verbs that always only appear as the leading verb and others that always only follow behind? Are there verbs that cannot be used in such combinations at all? etc.

Thanks
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262
It feels to me, just off-hand, that the second modifies (limits or more clearly defines) the first.

まった. 

Eating is more general, while to beginning to eat shows a temporal restriction.

く is to write, while む restricts it to a specific target of writing (onto a form, for example).

Thoughts?
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892
I figured that the first is the main verb, and the second one is supplementary. So your suggestion sounds quite right, I think.
But I've never seen any explanation for that and I wonder, if I can just combine any verbs in that fashion?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262
I would say no - I am of the mind that if I don't try to mix without hearing it first, but that's just me.
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana