Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
 したが  
1. As A changes, B changes (in response to A)
The B change is usually a willful change made by the subject in order to match/react to A
       したがって           なってきた  
In listening to his talk, the students' looks became serious.
2. In accordance with A
         します  
I'll act on your advice.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

tft26
Level: 6
What is the difference between にって and につれて?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261
につれて doesn't focus on the link between the two actions, just that they are both proceeding at the same time.
にしたがって is more specifically a response to the first action/change.
5 years ago
Report Content
tft26
Level: 6
I see. Thanks!
5 years ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1196

Does any wise person have example sentences of any of the following ?

- にって would fit, but にれて would not,

- にれて would fit, but にって would not,

- the meaning changes significantly depending on whether you use にって or にれて

Any of the above would be appreciated by this humble learner.

1 year ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1485

This answer has a good explanation with examples: https://japanese.stackexchange.com/a/84593

In brief, にって strongly implies causation between the two parts, e.g. in ってくなってきた。=got better with practice, I got better exactly because I practiced.

With につれて, the change can just happen together over time, e.g. in になるにつれて、しくなってきた。=got sad as night came, it wasn't necessarily the night itself that made me sad.

Excluding the second usage of にって (you can't say につれて), I can't think of any instance where this change results in a "significant" change in meaning, but one definitely sounds more natural than the other in certain cases.

1 year ago
Report Content
Anonymous123

This answer has a good explanation with examples: https://japanese.stackexchange.com/a/84593

In brief, にって strongly implies causation between the two parts, e.g. in ってくなってきた。=got better with practice, I got better exactly because I practiced.

With につれて, the change can just happen together over time, e.g. in になるにつれて、しくなってきた。=got sad as night came, it wasn't necessarily the night itself that made me sad.

Excluding the second usage of にって (you can't say につれて), I can't think of any instance where this change results in a "significant" change in meaning, but one definitely sounds more natural than the other in certain cases.

Thanks for the response. I have some follow up questions to make sure my understanding is correct.

If one was to say the "The price of bitcoin changes with the ebb and flow of the tides."

"れてビットコインのわります"

Does this subtly suggest that the change is coincidental ? (Is this valid even though the directions of the tides changes?)

"ってビットコインのわります"

Does this suggest there actually is a link between the price of bit coin and the tides ?

Thanks in advance.

1 year ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1485

In most cases, につれて and にって are interchangable. I only answered when one can be used but not the other...

につれて can also be used where there is causation, e.g.: すにつれてする。=As demand increases, prices rise. So I wouldn't say につれて suggests 'coincidental'.

As for your second sentence, since there is no clear connection between tides and Bitcoin prices, it ends up sounding very odd unlike, say, ってなります。=The water level varies with the ebb and flow of the tides (and yes, you can use につれて/にって, even if the direction changes). につれて (or とともに) work better here instead.

1 year ago
Report Content
Anonymous123

Thank you for the explanation. That clears things up for me.

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana