Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - How to avoid untenably high "daily study goals" in schedules?

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

gillianfaith
Level: 855
Mastery schedules have been really helpful to me for studying vocab & kanji, but after a couple months of using the site my vocab schedules are becoming really bloated. I have 1700 "known" terms so far, but I haven't been using the site long enough for the SRS to spread them out over a reasonably long time, so I now have multiple schedules that consistently have over 100 terms to study every day. It's getting to the point that it takes hours for me to complete my daily study goals, and it's really slowing down my progress on weaker terms.

Am I right in assuming that my schedule goals will eventually level out to something more reasonable if I use the SRS for long enough, or will they keep increasing as long as I'm studying new terms? Is there anything I can do or change in my settings to keep my goals from becoming unattainable in the future?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256
There are a few different things you can do, depending on what works for you:

(These are done from the Settings tab of the schedule)
a - Set a daily limit. This is probably the easiest - it will set a cap on your expected terms each day. In addition, down under Advanced settings, you can prioritize it to weaker terms.
b - adjust the study vectors. Without looking at your schedules specifically, I can say that the majority of users study a few different study vectors. Cutting this down can dramatically speed up schedules. You can also push this even further by changing the study style (again, under Advanced) to "quick and simple". It will still draw from the study vectors that you selected, but any one correct answer will move the levels as a whole up one.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other comments or concerns.
5 years ago
Report Content
gillianfaith
Thank you! I didn't realize that unchecking the "Study as much as I can" box would allow me to set my own goal, so I'll do some tinkering with those settings until I find a good limit.

I'm a little confused about "Quick and simple" mode, though. Since it's toggled on a per-schedule basis, if I have the same term in both a "Slow and thorough" schedule and a "Quick and simple" schedule with the same vectors, will each schedule have a different mastery level for that term? Or does levelling up a term in the quick schedule also level it in the slow schedule?

Does using "Quick and simple" also expedite the overall Mastery % for each term, or does it only affect schedule mastery levels?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
It actually might be something I should consider as a global setting, for the reasons you mentioned.

All schedules share the same levels, but if they share the same term with different settings, it could produce some non-ideal results.

Term A
Kanji > Definition: Level 3
Kanji > Hiragana: Level 2

Schedule 1 (Quick and Simple) - gets a K > D question, pulls both up one level:

Term A
Kanji > Definition: Level 4
Kanji > Hiragana: Level 3

Schedule 2 (Slow and Thorough) - gets a K > D question, pulls it up 1 level

Term A
Kanji > Definition: Level 5
Kanji > Hiragana: Level 3
5 years ago
Report Content
gillianfaith
I see! Thanks for the explanation.

In my case I have a large "Review" schedule with words from lessons that I've already extensively studied, so hopefully setting that one to "Quick and Simple" will speed it up and clean up any overlapping terms that are bloating my other schedules. I don't know if it's feasible, but the setting might work better attached to individual terms than whole schedules, so that users can expedite mastering the terms they're familiar with while still having the option to level newer/weaker terms slowly.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Thanks for the feedback.

In lieu of asking users to set another thing on potentially hundreds or thousands of terms, it might be worthwhile and revisiting the scheduling mechanism, because what you describe sounds like to should be handled automatically.

Already,the site does increase the review period for ones that have a higher rate of correct answers.

Example: A term is level 3 (after repeatedly getting it correct, missing it, etc.)
Another term is level 3 (only missed once, otherwise all correct)

The second term will, when scheduled to level 4, wait longer to reappear than the first one. However, maybe the scale is not large enough.
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana