Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - A couple of strange things happened

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements > Finished/Rejected Requests

Page: 1 of 2

Nicolas2
Level: 31
Yesterday, it was the 2nd or 3rd day that I had switched my kanji schedule to slow and thorough, and suddenly I got many questions about the trickiest aspects of kanjis. Mostly, it's about the kun-yomi of kanjis that do not have any common words with that reading. Or even no word at all that I can find, such as かけ。る for . That's far beyond what most people should learn. I'm guessing it's a word that disappeared from common use centuries ago? That's the most extreme case I got, but at least a dozen other questions were way beyond what I could reasonably expect to learn, with no common word using the rare reading that was asked. The kun yomi of is maybe worse than the kun yomi if , because it's 3 things to remember (omori, kari, haka.ri), all that for an alternative spelling of はかりどの, which is a "temporary shrine (houses the object in which the deity resides when main shrine is under repairs)". Most Japanese people probably don't know this word, or the kun yomi of or (after high school), I guess.

In case it was related to the setting, I switched back to quick and simple, but it didn't seem to help, today, also it's strange that it didn't start the first day of me using this setting. Maybe it's due to a change on the site, around the word merging process?
The second strange thing was this morning, when I opened the main page it said that all my schedules were fully studied. Of course when I opened each schedule, it appeared I had about 130 vocab and 40 kanjis to review. That was odd.
Then a 3rd strange thing happened during review... which I forgot while describing the first 2. Let's see if it comes again...
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
I remembered: from my list "tautologicals" (not during review), I opened the sentences for . I noticed that one (good sentence) had an incorrect parsing, so I tapped on the down arrow to signal it. But instead of the usual pop-up, the sentence completely disappeared for me (so now I only see 22 sentences for instead of 23). It's a pity, because the parsing problem is that a 2 kanji word was broken up, and this word currently has no example sentence. The problematic sentence is one of the top 10 sentences for , and one of the shortest 
Also, from there I can't reach the second page of sentence (no problem from the dictionary).
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261
  1. Go to your site settings > Kanji > what does your "hide rare readings" setting set to?
  2. I've heard this from others from time to time. So, if you go to your dashboard, everything is marked as finished? Only when you click in does it change? What if you refresh the dashboard after hitting it the first time?
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to debug this unless I can see it myself (in which case, it should be fairly easy). If you posted this around the same time, then your morning is around my 4pm. If you can replicate this, then *not* study or go to the schedule page and send me an email (michael@renshuu.org), I can try and jump in and check it out. Should I not respond within a couple of hours, then you can go ahead and continue to study.

3. Do you remember what the sentence said/was?
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
1 Ah, yes, silly me,  thanks. That was interesting, and a brutal reminder I don't stand a chance to pass the kanken beyond 8, if that's the kind of questions to expect.
2 I'll try, if this happens again tomorrow or later. For today I really finished my schedules.
3. I found the sentence, from another browser (the sentences are in a different order, so it was trickier than expected)
でいる。
When I look at this sentence from the non-connected browser, (ちゅうじつ )appears normally, the definition appears when I tap on it. But it wasn't like this from my account, and in the dictionary there's no sentence for this word, so there's something broken. I hope this helps you fix many sentences at once, not just this one...
And there's the fact that, from my list, the pop-up to signal a problem doesn't appear, and that I can see only the first 10 sentences. Not really an issue because I can use the dictionary instead, but strange.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Also, when one votes down a sentence, it seems it disappears forever. Could it instead be thrown to the bottom of the list and greyed out? Currently, if someone votes down a sentence because it's way too complicated, it will be still be gone 5 years later when the user speaks fluent Japanese?
(there are many, many sentences that I'd gladly push down to the bottom because they're way too complicated for me, but I don't precisely because of this, and because some of them are the only examples of some words)
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
  1. Rare readings are ones not taught at any level of public school, so I would not worry about those! I never touched them, and made it past 4-kyuu.
  2. Right now, if you just downvote one, it is hidden. If you downvote it and suggest a change, the vote will be removed when the change is approved.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Thanks for clarifying what's to know for the kanken.
All normal with the schedules today. The problem yesterday could have been related to the OS update that had just happened? I don't see how, but maybe you do.
Schrödinger's sentence above still seems half correctly parsed, half broken...
Another strange thing right now: I got quizzed for the on-yomi of . I didn't know it, so I looked below the answer for the words in gyoku. None were displayed, although (ぎょく), and are all common words, which should be displayed, according to my settings. I see a total of 14 words, the maximum (in the settings) is 15. Although (ぎょく) is missing, it's probably not an issue related to words merging because one of the words listed under is , which is an alternate of .
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Just found another sentence where is broken
うよりはむしろよくれている
Could be related to the problem of the previous sentence... Or not.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Even better (worse? I can't tell... I think it's good because if you solve this you could have thousands of sentences newly linked to thousands of words... ): although the word dictionary shows 0 sentences with (ちゅうじつ), a sentence search shows 38 occurrences, with being correctly parsed in 18 of them. Maybe the clue is that in the sentences where is parsed, only 1 has it as まめ, it's ちゅうじつ in the 17 others. The sentence with (まめ)is correctly attributed as the only exemple sentence for this word. It's "ってだね。"
Maybe, somehow, the association between that sentence and the word (まめ)blocks the search of sentences containing (ちゅうじつ)?
The problem is not in the sentences:
あの は   に   だ そうだ 
appears as an example sentence of , just not as an example sentence of .
jcjvtqoy0mzdaecjj4dqkx78p.jpg
5 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Level: 1147
While we're on the topic of example sentence problems, something that's been bugging me for a while:

8j0v7v08d4cscy28xc6k3t4up.png
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
While we're on the topic of example sentence problems, something that's been bugging me for a while:

いました。

There's that too!... Also, many sentences that don't appear for a word, because in the sentence it has a suffix like    ...
I don't have a good example in mind, but my private sentence with doesn't appear as an example sentence for . For some words it's a problem because they're taught as JLPT words of their own, but in fact are always used with a suffix. Japanese being an agglutinative language, any sentence that is an example sentence for ... is also an example sentence for (and   ...). I guess that would be pretty difficult to take it into account? You'd have to teach the site the concept of agglutination, that a Word can be simultaneously 1 and 3... (So fascinating, maybe one could use this concept as the basis for a religion?). Maybe the mystery of the 17 half-parsed/ half-unparsed sentences is a good start to improve this part of the site :o)
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
  1. Fixed the issue
  2. The number counts in the dictionary should be much better (and the associated sentences)
  3. Your idea with the suffixes is a great one, but would be a LOT of work. Will need to think about it for a future update.
This thread is getting a big unwieldy as there are multiple issues being addressed at the same time. Let's wrap up what is in here, and do not add any new issues unless they are replicates of the already stated ones.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
1 and 2: Nicely done!
It's maybe even more work than that, because it's not only one-kanji suffixes. Often it's 4-kanji words made of two 2-kanji words.
Such as which has 32 examples while has 0, although it's supposed to be a top-500 words, a top-12000 word in newspapers and a JLPT word. And sure enough, if you search for examples anywhere, the word appears as part of a bigger word: democratization, democratic party, and which makes using alone almost impossible (completely impossible?). jisho manages to show sentences containing and the other * words as examples for .
You also have other forms, like the ~180 words in *がない. Most of them are compound more set expressions, or compound words, like い, がない etc etc, which are examples of , etc.
Or words like the dozen of words starting in * (there's one too many in the list, センサー is given as かそくどセンサー and then as かそくどセン).
I can't imagine how this could be completely automatised. But you could have a very good start if you can make a list of all the 4-kanji words ABCD words in which the first half AB and the second half CD are both words by themselves, because then it should be rather quick to confirm (crowd-sourced?) whether or not the word is a compound of the first half and the second half, i.e. if AB and CD can both be considered to be present by themselves whenever ABCD is used in a sentence (as the words and are both present in any sentence containing ).
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Fully automatized, no way - it's just as you said. However, once I had time, I think I could start to chip away at things based on common suffixes first, then する for example ( and する). But it'll have to come at a later time, unfortunately.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
I just wrote the recap of the 4 issues here that are not yet resolved, but it crashed when I added a second screenshot, so I'll start again, without the screenshots, and from my comp on which the Japanese keyboard doesn't work :/

1-I don't get asked new rare kanji readings, but this morning I was asked for the ka.keru reading of ken (prefecture), among others. Is it possible to stop all questions about rare readings, once the "hide rare readings" options is turned back on?

2-From my list "tautologicals" I can still see only 3 examples for jiko (oneself), out of the 22 that I can see from the dictionary (and much more from the sentence search, but most are in the compound word "jikoshoukai"). It's the only word on the page with this problem, and jiko is the 50th and last of the page, so that must be where the problem is from.

3-Previously there was the problem that rare or obsolete readings (mame instead of chuujitsu and tokihakari instead of tokei) were taking example sentences away from the usual reading. Now there's the opposite reading: If someone searches tokihakari in the dictionary, he will have no indication that it's an obsolete reading, no connection to the usual word tokei, and no example sentence. For words that are written the same as more common words (marked "common" and/or with example sentences), could there be a link "see also tokei"?

4-chuujitsu now has 18 example sentences, much better than the previous 0, but there are in fact 38 sentences with that word (and that's not because they're in compound words, they're just not parsed)
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
  1. No, sorry! Well, you can mark each one as unknown as you come up on them, but that's about it.
  2. It shows only three by default on full view, but you can use the page toggles to see the test. I just confirmed that I can see the rest of the them. Are the page buttons (top right) not working for you?
  3. Hmm..this is rather tricky from my perspective. Right now, there is actual link between those words. I can think about adjusting this, but probably not in time for this month's release.
  4. This is due to the original source that many sentences were pulled in from. They were originally not marked, and this was for terms for thousands of sentences, so it was not something I could go in and fix all myself. If you are interested, I could add a button if you want to reparse them as you come along them.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
1-Oh, so that's what this button is for! That will fix the problem within a few days, thanks! Solved
2-Hm... everything is fine. Solved
Maybe I started to have hallucinations. Yesterday or the day before I thought I saw filters in the kanji dictionary: by class, key, learning status... all gone when I reloaded the page.
3-There's no rush... it will be an improvement whenever you get to it. Coming soon(-ish)!
4-Sure, I'd gladly fix some sentences here and there if you add this button. Not thousands, but as we say in French, little streams make big rivers. Solv...ing
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
4. I added an additional icon in the vocab dict and sentence search just for you and I, give it a try!
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
I saw the button, but here's an issue I hadn't mentioned: When I enter a private sentence, the parsing doesn't load. It's the same here, see this screenshot. Waiting several minutes doesn't help.
em37ejqwp2d3av5536h37t0ug.jpg

So I can't use it, yet.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Should be good now.
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 2

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements > Finished/Rejected Requests

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana