Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Writing in Japanese on Linux

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Anything Goes

Nicolas2
Level: 31
When my comp was new, some years ago, I had no problem writing in Japanese if I wanted, and I probably did, once. I was using Anthy. Now, it doesn't work any more. Anthy is installed, re-installed, but there's nothing on the bar, on top, and there's no way to write in Japanese. I'd ask that in the Ubuntu forum, but my only experience of answers from Linux forums was that if there's something I can't do on Linux, it's because I'm dumb, so I'd rather leave those genius superior beings in peace. Any idea what could bring Anthy back to life or any other suggestion to write in Japanese on my comp?
5 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Level: 1147
Never used Anthy, but I do write in Japanese on Linux. Have you tried a different IME? I'm currently using Mozc with ibus on Debian, and although it can become a memory hog, it seems to work well.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
I'll try, thanks. It's an old comp, but I added 8 GB of memory to the original 4, so that shouldn't be a problem...
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Thanks again. This is a problem that I had for years, and when it appeared I tried quite a few things, like re-installing IBUS and Anthy, trying alternatives, etc. I installed Mozc, it didn't do anything. Then on gnome-control-center, I turned off IBUS, removed all languages except French (with the idea of giving Mozc a clean slate), and just in case, tried to turn back on IBUS and Japanese. And voilà, it worked. I even could install a phonetic Russian keyboard on top。 いいねええ! Как хорошо!
So, thanks a lot for the suggestion, that unlocked an old problem!
5 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Level: 1147
You're welcome!
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Anything Goes

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana