Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - dictionary wanted

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Karlla
Level: 892
I'm particularly interested in classical Japanese and I kinda want another dictionary for that. I have one (jap -> jap) and I use an online dictionary which is also jap -> jap, but I want jap -> eng. I used to be on that website where members could create their own customized dictionaries, but I forgot what it's called and have no clue if it still exists. Does anyone know it? Or maybe you know any others resources? Or maybe someone knows an easy way to create my own dictionary with search function? Thanks
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261
what exactly do you mean by make your own? A stand alone dictionary where you can import your own data?
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Yeah, something like that.
The website I was talking about was not bad, but you had to upload each entry individually which made it very time consuming. I want something that is easier and faster.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I see, hmm. renshuu's dictionary could be extended to serve up private entries as well, but the terms still have to be entered through a custom list, so probably not the level of simplicity that you are looking for.
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
hmm... I'm not quite sure yet how I define simplicity. If I would attempt to make my own, I would have to enter everything from scratch, I suppose. The manner of input is what simplifies or complicates things; e.g. checkboxes to mark terms as verbs, nouns etc vs. having to type that in or bunch saving vs. saving each entry individually. (Have been there, have done that. It's no fun.)

What would such a custom list look like?
- Could I search in both directions within the list?
- Could it provide conjugation lists even for specific aspects e.g. ? (I wouldn't need it as extensive as the lists provided in the current dictionary. Just a list of the basic 6 inflections would suffice.)
- How would I make these entries? The same way as custom terms are added in schedules now? (Haven't done that a lot, so not sure how it works...)
- How/where could I access it?

It occured to me just now that I could probably already start making a custom schedule. Although I probably would have trouble with special conjugations etc. And I don't really want another schedule, I just want a dictionary. I might make a schedule for makurakotoba or so, just for the fun of it.^^
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Okay, I just started creating a private lesson, just to see how it works.
I noticed that the terms pop up in the dictionary now. Can anyone see them or is it just me?
The dictionary sometimes offers alternative writings (kanji) and readings (?) for an existing term. Is it possible to implement that in custom terms without having to add the alternatives as a separate entry?
For some custom terms I could mark them as "expression", while for other terms that option didn't even show up. Why?
Lastly I noticed the return of an old bug...
Went to Study Center -> me -> assorted lessons -> picked my newly created custom lesson -> hit the pen icon next to the definition et voilà

fasx88yyh8h0xzz3u24qtmxrp.jpg Some of that code will remain in the definition after saving it.
I think, my firefox updated today or yesterday. Could that be related, maybe?
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Level: 31
Custom definitions appear in the dictionary of the person who made them, which is pretty cool because it allows me to see the fixed French definitions (the quality of the French definitions is not quite that of the English definitions.
I haven't had such a problem on my 2 custom lessons. My guess: cranky browser? I got quite a few kranky browser bugs. Close and restart the browser solves some issues.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Nope - I know what is causing it. Will fix it soon!
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Should be fixed - I can tell you that the problem would have occurred with any custom def that includes kanji in it.

Any custom terms only appear for you, since they are unverified by the site.
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana