Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Big bug in the vocab scheduling.

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Nicolas2
Level: 31
First surprise this morning, the schedules were shown as completed, meaning they had not updated at 2 am. They updated only around 7 am.
Then, I started my N2+N3 schedule, and here I saw that I had not done 50% of it yesterday, which I'm pretty sure is wrong, I did it fully in the morning.
Then I saw that I had way more terms to study than expected: the daily limit 90, instead of 50-60. And there was an indication why: 74 terms indicated as level 1, which doesn't make sense.
And then I started the quiz and saw what kind of questions were at level 1.
I had to answer term>kana or kana>term questions for てう れる 
Those kanjis are not JLPT, and not on my schedule, so something is wrong. Or maybe, after you updated the JLPT database you decided we should know them. It could make sense, it's not like they're completely obscure, I had seen them before and could answer correctly. I'll let you check before finishing this schedule.
There was nothing weird with the kanji schedule.
I guess the bug happened last night, after I had finished studying for the day.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 260
There have been no updates to the JLPT lists, and even if there had been, they would not automatically propagate to the schedules, so that's not the case.

So, taking a look at  (the kanji, not the word), for example, it says that this was marked as "known very well" term - do you remember doing that, or does that seem incorrect?

I'm in the process of pulling out the data from about 30 hours ago to see if the problem existed then or not. I did make some data fixes this morning, but I cannot picture how that would have caused the issue at hand.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
While I'm waiting, here is what got cleaned up this morning:

There were a number of terms (of all types) that had been marked at a certain mastery level in the past (without having been studied). This happened, though, without making an additional entry in the db that is usually made for any term studied, marked as known, etc.

Upon discovering this, I made those secondary entries. In the case of kanji, it would have marked that kanji as known, and filtered down to vocabulary terms that included that kanji.

So, in the case of  , here is the data that I have:

1 - It was marked as level 9 on your account about 100 days ago. Since it was marked so high, it has not yet come up for quizzing. However, when marked, it did not get that secondary entry.
2 - I created secondary entries for all terms that were marked at a non-zero mastery level in the past.
3 - The site picked this up, and then toggled on the kanji on all terms that included  in it, including る.
4 - It is now available for quizzing on those vectors.

I originally thought that my morning fix somehow marked kanji at high levels incorrectly, but with this kanji at least, it was marked loooong ago. 

Strangely, though, looking at your account, there are a TON of kanji like this. all supposedly marked up on that same day, about 100 days ago.

If you'd like, I can wipe out all of those kanji for you, and rebuild the kanji bindings on your terms. It only looks like there are 3 kanji terms you've marked at a certain mastery level without studying it later, and the rest fall into this strange category.

Let me know and I'll pull the trigger!

5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Well, none of the 3 kanjis are on any of my schedules, so I don't see on what occasion I could have marked them very well known. Also, all 3 kanji have a mastery of 0%
On the other hand I probably could mark all 3 words as very well known... But then why were they at mastery level 1, and why ask the question with an off-schedule kanji.
Did you do some work to connect the different spelling of words to mark them as alternates one of another, that could have caused this?
う had a Def>kana level of 7, and I don't think I missed the other 2 to lake them fall at level 1 (especially without going back up ti level 2 immediately). But anyway here is what I saw.
I don't remember why I have details on the first, but only one global level for the other 2.

4r4r0f46cwxpjzerjc040cxgc.jpg0nnjwpqpwmcjjcy76vetd782t.jpg0gmsyumbrcu3otz8ra8yhcufk.jpg
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
No additional work was done except for the fix above, so I do believe it was a bug that happened a loong time ago, and this fix brought the incorrect data "to light", so to speak.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2

So, in the case of  , here is the data that I have:

1 - It was marked as level 9 on your account about 100 days ago. Since it was marked so high, it has not yet come up for quizzing. However, when marked, it did not get that secondary entry.

Strangely, though, looking at your account, there are a TON of kanji like this. all supposedly marked up on that same day, about 100 days ago.

Let me know and I'll pull the trigger!

いました。

• Ah, it partially makes sense. I did mark a ton of vocab as very well known. After all, some years ago I knew a bit over 5000 words, before a 5 year break from Japanese. And I also marked some kanjis.
    But:
  • if I marked る as level 9 and it came for the first time, why was it level 1?
  • If is not in a kanji N5 N4 N3 N2 list, and not level, I didn't go and mark it, so why did it appear in the question?
  • Side-question: If those 3 kanjis are not JLPT, and only taught in high school, why did I know them anyway? If they're somewhat common and I just picked them up from basic reading, I'd rather keep them in the schedule. I'll continue the schedule, and see if there are questions I'd rather not see. If it's all about the terms I marked very well known 3 months ago, it's fine.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
You (or the bug) didn't mark the vocab, just the kanji (and a ton more, I'm talking thousands). It then marked the vocab as having kanji known.

You're only looking at those 3 kanji, but there are a huge number of them, so again, "bug" from a long time ago (or odd user action) caused the majority of these kanjis to be marked as 9, and rolling that back should fix just about everything.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Aaah... Yes, please roll back. The first question I just had right now was term>kana for . C'mon, it's not even taught in high school. I can read the synonymous kanji , that's good enough and way beyond what I need for the tests I'm currently planning (and kind of useless if I'm not talking about Middle Ages or about the Battle of Winterfell).
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Should look at lot better now!
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Yes, thanks a lot, it looks a lot better, except for a mysterious amount of words that are at level 1: 23. Let's see...
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
So, in my first run of this cleaned-up schedule, I noticed 3 words that were level 1 (now level 2) and shouldn't have, and this reminds me of a suggestion I had in mind:
the 3 words were
I think they shouldn't have been level 1, because ideally, there could be a bridge between the kanji questions and the vocab questions, and all 3 kanjis are at level 5+. Such bridges could slightly reduce the sizes of schedules.
If I answer kanji→kana or kana→kanji for the kanji , don't I answer the exact same question for the corresponding word?
When I answer kanji→kana for a word made of 2 kanjis that are read with their only ON -yomi, don't I answer the same question for both of those kanjis?
etc.
So, today, I just have 23 words that suddenly popped-up at level 1, it's a tiny glitch, but if there's a possibility of creating such bridges, that might take care of 3 things:
-a slight reduction of schedules, because currently we sometimes get the same question twice in the same day, once for the kanji, once for a word.
-this mysterious arrival of known words at level 1 couldn't happen again
-and maybe a side effect of this would be to eliminate the bug that bothers you so much that you're offering 6 months of renshuu pro for its resolution.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not planning on adding or considering this for the moment - there's a few other (large) things I want to get done before the end of summer holiday for students on the western calendar. 

That being said, I'd argue that those two questions are similar, but far from being the same. While you might initially learn kanji compounds as a set of individual kanji, each with a reading, past a certain point, your mind recognizes the set of kanji as a single word, stops being べん and きょう, it's just one word that you see as a whole. Of course, there is a similarity, but saying that you recognize and process each kanji individually is not true in all situations.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Good point! Looking forward to those large updates!
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Hmm. I'm not sure it's really fixed, now: I was done with my 'N3+N2 schedule (among others after doing the 23 level 1 terms) , all normal. I come back to check, and I still have no terms to study now, but 34 terms which weren't there are now level 1 (although most likely I know them well), and tomorrow I mysteriously have to study the daily max, 90 of them (it wasn't like that either). The numbers for the following days seem normal, though.
Is it the last batch of 34 words marked unknown that I actually know (in which case it doesn't matter much), or will they keep coming every day, in which case it's going to be completely unmanageable very quickly?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
You were still in the 24 hour period after the fix where "leftover" stuff could have stuck around. I would be shocked if the same were to happen during your next reload.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
I confirm, the problem is gone, thanks a lot!
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana