Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Introducing already known kanji

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

matej
Level: 1
At the "New terms for this quiz" page, when I use the "I know this term" option, the mastery level is changed according to the term listings. The problem is that the kanji is still repeatedly being introduced into the schedule as it is not considered as studied. When I keep the kanji in the list without using the "I know this term" options, the mastery level is reset. How do I introduce already known terms into a schedule?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256
This issue should be fixed with all new terms introduced and marked past this point. I found the cause of the issue while looking at the other report you sent me! Let me know if you are still able to replicate the issue with anything marked from here on out.
5 years ago
Report Content
matej
It still does not work. When I mark item as known, it just disappears and reappears when starting the quiz again. On my account, it can be reproduced on .

It somewhat works when testing with a clean account, altough I have reset my account after the supposed fix.

To be blunt, I am kind of disappointed with stability of the site.
5 years ago
Report Content
matej
I found a way to reproduce another issue. The difference is that now the bugged kanji is both marked as studied (in the seen terms of a study schedule) and in the My kanjis list. This state is different from the aforementioned issue in that the in my account is not considered as studied.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Start kanji quiz.
  2. From the new terms, choose a kanji that is not yet in the my kanjis list.
  3. Toggle "I know this reading" for a reading.
  4. Use the "I know this term" option.
  5. Start the quiz again. The known kanji is being introduced again.
5 years ago
Report Content
matej
Found another maybe related issue.

1. Start kanji quiz.
  2. From the new terms, choose a kanji that is not yet in the my kanjis list.
  3. Activate "I know this reading" for a reading.
  4. (At this point, the known readings are in a superposition - the readings are different depending on where they are viewed. The results are different when using kanji dictionary/my kanji list and seen terms in a study schedule.)
  5. Finish the quiz as per usual. The activated reading is deselected.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Hey -

I really am sorry you've run into so many issues, and I appreciate you continuing to report the issues so they can be fixed. This is an entirely new feature in the site, and while there was a beta period for testing, the site is still rather small, so there is always one or two areas that do not get as much prodding by enough users.

I believe there are two issues being reported, so let's try and look at them separately.

I was able to replicate the issue you described when using the "I know this term" feature (this is the new feature). After a fix, and reselecting it once more, it know longer got introduced into the schedule. I hope you are able to have the same thing happen in your account.

Please give me a bit more time to look into the kanji reading issue. Thanks!
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Update:

There were some small issues that, combined together, was causing the reading issue in this edge case. (Edge case being that users tend to mark readings as known or unknown after studying it at least once).

I was able to confirm, in my testing, the following:

(Change) Reading was marked as known, but "unmarked" after a single question in the quiz (Just as you stated). This no longer happens.
(Change) There should be better linking between the dictionary and the listings in the term lists. However, there can be differences. This is actually a subject of discussion for the next version of the site, but here is what typically happens:

Dictionary entries can be different because some lists (specifically, the JLPT, textbook, and Kanji Kentei lists provided by renshuu) have recommended readings attached to them based on where that list came from. These recommendations live within the list, though, and may not be reflected in the dictionary. (For example, JLPT N4 might expect different readings for a kanji compared to a textbook where it is introduced in chapter 3 of the first volume).

Once you study a kanji character in a list, though, you start getting "hey, this users knows these readings" attached to your personal study profile, and that takes precedence over any list or dictionary entry. Now, the previous bug you mentioned was getting in the way of this somewhat, but it should be improved.

Please let me know about any other (or same) consistencies you notice in your usage of the site!
5 years ago
Report Content
matej
I used "I know this term" on (and other kanjis). Now the kanji is not being introduced anymore, but is neither in the studied nor unstudied list. The kanji is the all terms of the schedule though. Counts for the schedule are 308 unstudied and 9 studies, although there are 304 unstudied and 10 studied shown when I actually inspect the lists.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Thanks for the update. I found two small issues related to what you were doing. Both the number counts should be correct on the schedule summary (it jumped up some as it was undercounting), and kanji like should appear now.

I cannot say yet that I'm sure the bug is resolved, but I did go back through and fix the data in your account that was incorrectly entered before the fix was applied. If you continue to see errors with newly adjusted terms, a list of steps like you gave previously will help a lot. Thanks!
5 years ago
Report Content
matej
I am afraid the fix for the known readings did not work. I have tried it on セン of and on なかば of . The activated reading is not shown wherever the readings are viewed. If it helps, you can test it on my account, as I will reset it and continue my studies once the issues are fixed. The possibly bugged reading of the terms being introduced right now which I might have selected in the past are わたくし, デン, み.る, み.える and み.せる.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Thanks for waiting! Here is what I did to replicate the issue:

1. Make a schedule with one term () in it.
2. Click Study
3. On "New Terms" page, mark セン as known. 
4. Answered one question for
5. In term lists on schedule summary page, セン was no longer marked.

Cause of issue: at #3, the reading was being marked correctly as known. However, a flag saying "This is a new term" was still there on the term in the quiz data. So on #4, after the question was answered, it made a fresh copy of the known readings (this is usually generated inside of the quiz, since that is the first time a user typically interacts with the kanji) and replaced the one made in #3.

So, at least this part of the issue is resolved! Hopefully it'll be the only "part" left.
5 years ago
Report Content
matej
Thank you for your explanation and taking the time to quickly fix the issues. I was unable to reproduce it on the remaining terms, so I guess it is fixed.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I'll leave this open for a few more days in case anything related comes back up!
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana