Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - expand audio file access?

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Karlla
Level: 892
Is it possible to enable listening to terms in the dictionary or schedule overview? Sometimes I just want to look up a term and listen to it without actually studying it. I do not know how precise the audio files are, but I'm curious about differentiation in pronunciation of similar terms, e.g. vs. or vs.
カキ (oyster), as there seem to be some differences that help distinguish these words by sound rather than context.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262
Do the audio icons not appear for you in those areas? They've always been there. If you do not see them, do you mind taking a screenshot of what you're looking at?
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
h2nycyuvcskvziw0ymoe0eijj.jpg
I just noticed that they do appear in the schedule lists. (I'm pretty sure they weren't there before, but after I toggled the view style a little, they suddenly showed up.) But I definitely don't see any in the dictionary.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
かき doesn't have an audio file to begin with, though. Maybe I misunderstood your initial question - are you asking for more audio files, or for audio files that you can see in the quizzes, but can't see anywhere else?
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
More audio files would definitely be great. At least for the more common words. I think かき is a fairly common term, is it not?

i was under the impression, that audio files only come up in quizzes and in the grammar library, because I rarely see that speaker icon anywhere else. Guess I overlooked it. Sorry.
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Level: 31
My 2 cents: Yes, the stress is the opposite, for both pairs. It seems JMDict contains the indication of the stress, which appears in Aedict. However, I was told that in many cases, as in はし, those stresses are reversed in Osaka. The auto-generated sound provided by Aedict sounds weird, bridge sounds like it's "ashi".
My experience from other languages is that the written indication of the stress is a necessary element of a very good dictionary for all languages where this indication is useful, particularly for languages where the stress is the only element distinguishing different words. It's the case in Russian, for which the absence of stress indications is an immediate sign of a low-quality dictionary. The problem is even more frequent in Greek, but you never write Greek without indicating the stress, unless you're writing all caps (eg comics). And there are even more homonyms in Japanese, so stress indications should be even more important... But due to dialectal variations, do they really help as much? Should we be trying hard to get the Tokyo accent? Or just not bother about this and accept the little misunderstandings that will result, or the little extra effort needed to clarify what we mean, when confusion is possible?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
We do want to expand the audio, and even have the system built in to do so. The trick is finding quiet time with a 4 month old and 2.5 year old running around the house :)
5 years ago
Report Content
Nicolas2
Level: 31
We do want to expand the audio, and even have the system built in to do so. The trick is finding quiet time with a 4 month old and 2.5 year old running around the house :)
いました。

The written indication of the stress could be easier to implement?
Or... a sound-proof door? ;o)
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Are you recording the audio by yourself? o_o
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Yep! Well, not me, but it is a family business.
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
すこい…
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana