Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Something's wrong with the Picture search engines

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

|マルコ|
Level: 110
ip6ifttm8ad78hcp5zi6crf2s.png
pages and pages of stuff that has nothing to do with ちぎる
Meanwhile someone I was talking to about this strangeness easily found this one just by looking for the same ちぎる using google images (not trough renshuu)
uppqfyfh48iisfer5vncuahu8.png
I thought that something isn't working right in the "search for new images", and should be investigated ^_^'
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262
This was discussed somewhere else, and is not a bug. You cannot compare the google search results to the picture search results directly. You can get a much closer look if you, in google images, go to Tools > Usage Rights > labeled for reuse.

The reason a "plain" google search will get muuuuch better results is because it is listing tons of photos that renshuu does not have the right to display on the website. I have to limit it to photos that have been explicitly marked as free for re-use (there are more technical markers for this, but this is a simple way of thinking of it).
5 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|
I see x_x
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I think a lot of sites do the "we are not responsible for the images uploaded, please contact us if there is a copyright issue", but I'd personally prefer to take an ethnically proactive stance, especially since the image search tool is being provided by the site.

That being said, I am (slowly) investigating other avenues for images. There is one HUGE clipart site that should be able to work with renshuu, but it's been down for two months (although is supposedly coming back).
5 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|
Honestly I'm not too excited by the clipart idea, every time I see one of those I am downvoting and replacing it with a real image, example below ^_^'

w77aqq03y2qef7phrgvgjrs07.png
I don't know, I don't find them cool enough, maybe is only personal taste ^_^'

That aside, stuff like い and   are so basic that having or not having pictures is not really a big deal, the real strenght of pictures shines when we talk about variety of plants, fruits, animals etc...
For instance, I thought was just like a pear, I had no idea it looked like an orange apple until I saw it trough renshuu dictionary.  (I might be the one who added that image, and learned about it in the process)
So for instance, another one that I would like to add now and can't (because of the limited search resoults), is わた, image below from google
mz7s53ry3fvk5cv7zxyne8b3q.png
So I think an important thing to do should be to watch for some sort of open source image encyclopedia of plants/animals/fruits with all thousands or millions of species and include them in the search available trough renshuu
5 years ago
Report Content
じゅうり
Level: 1711
Try searching in English for the pictures you want to add. For some reason it gives much better results. Searching "cotton" brought up several similar pictures.
5 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|
Try searching in English for the pictures you want to add. For some reason it gives much better results. Searching "cotton" brought up several similar pictures.

You're right, thanks! :)

Also a thing I've noticed, but when searching with google, is not possible to re-frame the image (while with pixabay and pexels is possible). How come?
I would suggest at least the option to see the image full size before submission, currently when picking from google since I'm only seeying the thumbnail, I cannot be sure the picture is actually good until I open it full size after submission, so people would end up submitting a lot of extra bad images because of that (submit, check it full size, not happy, repeat)
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I personally check every image that comes in, with a few exceptions. I don't really see problems either Google results as they are. I believe the reason for not offering the cropping tool is that Google results are not made for this propose, so it does not have the appropriate resized images that pixabay includes in it's search results.
5 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|
I don't really see problems either Google results as they are.
Well the problem is more on the user side, for instance, since while picking an image from google I can't see the detail of the image I am picking (because of the tumbnail size), I might have to submit my pick, then open full size, notice that something in the image is not what I thought it was or I don't like, then search again and find again the page I was in and try my luck again. (I felt that my previous explanation was misunderstood, so I'm trying to explain it better)
Let's take this image for example

sz8h0f3j68hmx8wiv730pj2i6.png
After I submit it, will it be a quite higher resolution image, or will it stay as a 150 x 250 or something thumbnail?
After seeying it full resolution, will it be a noisy image or a good image?
Basically that small preview is not good enough to judge all this things, would lead for sure to me strugling a lot more to find an image I would be pleased with, and at the same time you would end up reviewing lot of this garbage image I would be picking (only to access the high-res image) and discarding, seems a lose-lose situation :S

So basically if it was possible to click it and enlarge it to the original size before clicking the submission button, one could decide if the image was good or not beforehand, and all of that would be avoided ^_^'
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I'll take a look if I have time. I understand what you are saying, but there are some technical limitations that might in the way. For example, if google does not have an appropriate thumbnail, then I do not want a 3-6mb image getting downloaded just for the sake of seeing it zoomed up (of course, once images are saved on the site, more appropriate sizes are made).

I'm getting started on the kanji introduction module today, so that's going to take precedence. We'll see what I can do, though!
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana