test

Forums - [MEGATHREAD] Vocabulary Image discussions

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Page: 1 of 4

|マルコ|
Level: 110
Someone submitted this, which is the default image for :
ixh7sqzq5o54o0yuny47r5ipw.png

but I believe that is and could be misleading.
refer to intersection (of roads, 3d objects etc...) if I understood it correctly.
And so this shouldn't be used as default because it isn't realy emphasizing the intersection aspect
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256
Feel free to submit another one =)
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892
I kinda feel like having an image discussion board^^
During a quiz I noticed the image for showing a variety of veggies and thought it'd be a perfect image for .
So I went ahead and found the image for showing only bell peppers. Whereas bell peppers are veggies, I think it might be a bit misleading... perhaps?
1615.jpg
Which takes me to ピーマン.
246.jpg In my experience ピーマン mostly refers to the smallish green bell peppers rather than the red and yellow biggies shown in the chosen image.
Found this article which explains the differences between ピーマン and パプリカ, which are essentially the same thing, but when you go to the supermarket or read cooking recipes they're labeled differently. https://tg-uchi.jp/topics/4291 (japanese only)

This is not a big thing (just me nitpicking), but maybe the people who originally added the images may want to reconsider their choices?
Any thoughts?
5 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|

This is not a big thing (just me nitpicking), but maybe the people who originally added the images may want to reconsider their choices?
Any thoughts?

I actually think is a big thing xD (the topic in general)
I've learned that looks like this

iwpwi75tizc8d0imqd5ne88mm.png
Which to me, seems like an apple with the skin of a pear. Before investigating it, I thought that a "japanese pear" would look just like a regular pear:

q0kspjk0hnudgnr2fm5i05eu0.png
and if someone had put this image for , then I would have been fooled and thought of the wrong thing every time I saw .

So the fact that images can be used to differentiate different species of thing I think is a big deal, and there should be a board where we point out mistakes in the "default image" for vocabs so that we don't end up misleading other users with a poor choice of image :)
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Pointing out changes is fine - I seriously doubt the person who submitted them will see that, but I do have admin powers to elevate or nix other ones. The reality is that I am not an expert on these variety differences, so sometimes they seem right when I am going through them the first time.

Just make sure you have another entry suggested in the system, and I'll make sure to knock out the other one before confirming the new one.

PS: Currently about 4500 pictures in the site so far!
5 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|

awesome :D
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Pointing out changes is fine - I seriously doubt the person who submitted them will see that, but I do have admin powers to elevate or nix other ones. The reality is that I am not an expert on these variety differences, so sometimes they seem right when I am going through them the first time.

Yes, unlike with mnemonics we cannot see who uploaded the images. I cannot even see, which pics I uploaded myself.
No one expects you to be an expert on everything. I think, you're already doing an amazing job maintaining the site and whatnot.

Wow. So many images. Gorgeous.

As for the , at least in Germany you can buy pears and nashi, giving a clear distinction between the regular pears and apple-shaped ones. But I do believe that in Japan people would refer to a western style pear as also.

Coming back to my original post, I really want to know/understand what actually is. Food, yes, but is it raw food, is it cooked food, is it similar to or closer to a complete meal? And what is the difference between and ? I mean, veggies are essentially a kind of food, but does that image represent the meaning of the word appropriately?
Also the image for only shows potato chips or the likes. Does that actually qualify as

Btw I don't like google. The images are spot on, no doubt, but since we cannot resize them I can only see the thumbnail prior to uploading it. Sometimes I see an image that looks like it shows something I have in mind, but in the enlarged version I see that it is something different after all. With google I can only see that after the picture is uploaded.
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
The biggest problem with google is that there's no medium sized previews - just the tiny ones, and the full size. A lot of them are REAL big pictures, so you (especially if you're on mobile) need to download a 2-5mb picture for the editing. That's my biggest concern.
5 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|
Coming back to my original post, I really want to know/understand what actually is. Food, yes, but is it raw food, is it cooked food, is it similar to or closer to a complete meal? And what is the difference between and ? I mean, veggies are essentially a kind of food, but does that image represent the meaning of the word appropriately?
Also the image for only shows potato chips or the likes. Does that actually qualify as

(1)。また,になる
Food. Also ingredients used to make food.
(2)
Food cost. Food expenses.

Coocking ingredients.

にするとしたり、そのままべたりすることができる
Generic term for goods used as food. Edible goods that can be used directly as a coocking ingredient, or eaten as they are. Food and drink articles.

(1)あるるとき,もととしているもの。。「」「
Something used as base when making something. (raw) material.
(2)調などのためにうもの。「アサガオをとする」
Things handled for study, examination and the like.
(3)などの。「をさがす」
Theme of artworks and the like.
(4)あるなどをするためのもととなるもの。「」「となる」
The thing used as the base for taking a decision and the like.
(5)で,かす。「」「
In a business, the prime factor that moves market prices.

Hopefully my translations of the words meaning are correct.
From this, it appears that has a wider range of uses and is not limited to food while the words starting with mostly are.
is like a but limited to food.
is a more generic term for food/food products and apply to all that is edible. 
And is just xD

Despite this dictionary entry, I guess the only way to really know is to be immersed in the japanese daily life and get a feel for how and when the word is used, so for us even with dictionary help such as https://kotobank.jp, is still hard to determine what is the best image to represent something :)
Basically, let's hope japanese people pass by and fix our images xD
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Would the two of you like elevated privileges for marking up images? You would not be required to do anything, but your up/down votes would weigh a bit more in determining what images are shown to everyone, and which are made private (so that only the original poster can view them.)
5 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|
Well, I'll usually shy away from similar responsabilities, but given that ensuring the best available image for a vocab gets shown to other users was already what I was striving for, then sure!
If you think my judgements on it would improve this system, them I'm ok with it :)
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
I suppose there aren't any Japanese people here for reliable evaluation of images.^^
I'm not much of a voter usually, but if you think my judgment could help improve the site, I'll give it a shot. Would be nice though if I had an easier way of accessing those 4500 images, though. So far they're chance encounters, more or less.
5 years ago
Report Content
じゅうり
Level: 1685
So many pictures seem to be the first image that appears in search, and have absolutely no connection to the real definition. Take a look at some of these:
03v6uo60pzpwva55oi6xb3m5j.pngThis term is for the chills that come with a fever, NOT snow.
s6j67iyktukofuithj4z8f45u.pngNot sure what a crosswalk has to do with a department within a university...
40zncak2zi3zcvueza3icvdq6.png
Took me three days to figure out it was the "friction coefficient".

I've put new pictures on a few (like where someone posted a picture of castor oil for baking soda), but it would be nice if we could pick the picture we'd like to see when there are multiple already loaded (like for tamago).
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
If you mark one down, it'll never appear as the main entry for you. If one gets enough negative marks, I'll have it flagged for review!
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I'd like to hear your input on this:

I have begun to get more strict with the images that have come in. There's been two styles of pictures that I've been rejecting outright, but would like to hear your thoughts on it:

1. "Word only'" images - these are images where it is a picture of a word (the main definition in English), but nothing visual that really ties it to the term. So, it might just be some word art.
2. "Word as a title" images - they include the main word of the definition in a picture/photo, but the word is part of a title. For example, "" (revolution) may show a book that is titled "Revolution". The book may itself be about revolutions, but I feel the link is too tenuous. Another example - (end, in the end, etc.) got a picture of a road sign (in the darkness) that says "End" on it. Felt fairly vague and disconnected.
3. Number only images" - Many of the months got pictures recently. In this case, the most common tactic was a calendar on that particular month - which I thought was ok. However, I also got images where it was just the number "3" for 3, without any other visual links.

Some of these words are REALLY hard to find good images for (like ), but I think I'd rather have no image than one that does not necessarily help the user better remember/understand the term.

Thoughts?
5 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|
I absolutely agree with you.
Words like そして、それから、もうすぐ、 and the like are too abstract of concepts to be able to get any kind of benefit from a picture. Not having one is way better.
And points 1 and 2 make perfect sense as well, so I am 100% in favor or removing those kind of images (I might have been downvoting them already)
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
I agree that word or number images are not very catchy. Unless e.g. a "3" is meant to represent the number three and nothing else, it is not very informational. A word, wether it's written in the dictionary or on a picture, doesn't really make a difference.

Lately I've been debating myself if there is/could be a legit image to represent an earthquake. The current image shows a road that is ripped open. The reason for which could be an earthquake or anything else. I did not see an earthquake in there until I googled the image and found that it is linked to an article (or articles) about a certain earthquake. So it's not out of place, but also not very spot on.
I think an image should allow the viewer to understand what is represented in the pic without actually seeing the word it is linked to. For some words it is difficult (or impossible) to achieve, so they're better off without an image. As for the earthquake image, I'm still unsure if I should downvote it or not.
Opinions?
5 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|
I think everyone already know what an earthquake is and as you said is also hard to show something like an earthquake with a still photo, so maybe for cases like that could be useful an image that show the different components of it? (like the one you find in school textbooks) Like the image below:
abr52fnkvnd58q4nzcwqwfz5v.png
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I would also say that in most cases, the image is going to reinforce the meaning, not explain it. A lot of them just make the meaning stronger, or (when we're lucky) have some component that makes the viewer react (like a cat being used to show what "above" is).
5 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Well, that cat pic at least makes sense. I like it.
The earthquake pic, however, reminds me awfully of a scene I could see in Germany, where earthquakes essentially don't occur.

Btw, still waiting for the cliparts. Any updates?
5 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 4

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana