Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - [Discussion] Name change for Mastery Schedules

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

マイコー
Level: 256
I think it's about time to rename schedules to something that doesn't sound so "office at work"ish. I'm not sure it conveys an image that is easily understandable to new users, especially ones that have worked with other platforms such as anki.
"decks" or "lessons" are often used, and I do not think lessons works quite well.
"mastery decks"
"smart decks"
Any other ideas, or comments on these?
4 years ago
Report Content
gillianfaith
Level: 856
When I started on the site I remember being confused by what a "schedule" was, but it was pretty easy to catch on to after going through the site intro and testing out the pre-made one. It's probably not a bad idea to move away from business-y language to be friendlier to new users, but personally I think the current name is fitting and self-explanatory once you've been introduced to mastery levels & the scheduling system the quizzes operate on.
I would at least keep the word "mastery", since it really emphasizes the purpose of the quizzes and ties it in with the concept of mastery levels. "Lessons" sounds better to me than "decks", just because that's how I use mastery schedules anyway... I'm not an Anki user so I don't connect the concept of "decks" with things I want to learn (TOFU Learn also uses "decks", and honestly that caused me way more confusion when I started using that app than "schedules" did).
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256
Thanks. My only worry about lesson is that usually a lesson is one of many lessons that makes a book, for example. Already, there are lessons in the study center that you can add, so I hope that any name change would make sense to have a collection of lessons or materials in it. Sets might work.
4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892
I don't know what's so bad about "schedules". I also am not very fond of "decks".
If you must make a change, however, why don't you rename the lessons from the study center into decks (sounds fitting to me) and keep the "mastery schedules/lessons"?
4 years ago
Report Content
すねだ
Level: 1375
I think the names are fine as is, it doesn't sound that office-like to me at all, but I am not a native speaker of English.
I think study schedules are quite normal for anyone who studies something and wants to learn it. - on another note I still kinda miss the timed schedules from back in the day (feel old now) that I used to introduce new materials and enabled me to repeat new materials a couple of times before adding them to my mastery schedule, so my learning curve for my mastery schedule is somewhat less difficult.
For Anki the term "decks" makes more sense because it is trying to emulate the feel of a traditional flashcard system with all the comforts of the digital age. However here it would seem somewhat odd, and I think lessons works fine especially with all the lists fitting to certain study books. Maybe that list is the most neutral, but it doesn't have any flair.
If you want to change names, it would be fun to have the possibility to be able to switch names of things on the site to Japanese, but it doesn't seem necessary to me.
4 years ago
Report Content
ロンダ
Level: 1663
l like mastery schedule. Don’t care for decks or smart; they just sound funny.
4 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Level: 1145
I also don't feel a need to change the name and don't like the term decks.
4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana