Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - kun reading of (or for that matter)

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

espiacent
Level: 760

So the kunyomi of apparently is か(ける). I can't find any word though where it is pronounced like this and if I actually search for かける it also doesn't show up (tried different dictionaries, also Google IME doesn't recognise this). On the other hand あがた works of course, strangely being an irregular reading, even though it actually is the reading of the whole kanji. So in my understanding this would more or less make it the kun. Does any one know more or can explain this?

This would also bring me to the question: Can I block specific readings from my schedule?

4 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
Level: 1266

This seems to be a mistake in the dictionary, as even googling just for ける apparently brings up nothing useful.

When it comes to blocking specific readings, in the dictionary you can click each individual reading and select if you know or don't know it. At least in my experience, setting a reading to not known prevents this reading from showing up during Kanji quizzes.

4 years ago
Report Content
espiacent

Thanks for the reply. So since I guess that WWWJDIC is the base for jisho.org and also for the dictionary here the mistake comes from there maybe? I'll try setting that reading to not known (the other way round seemed more intuitive so I was confused).

4 years ago
Report Content
espiacent

Okay, checked the Kodansha:

0x4z7t33tmwvqkzy78m70tbdk.png
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

Fixed them both in the database!

4 years ago
Report Content
espiacent

Thanks!

4 years ago
Report Content
espiacent

I think I found a similar case. The Kun of is supposed to be いぼ, the On „セイ“. But a) there is no case of this Kun reading to be found here or at Jisho. On the other hand b) the actual On seems to be ゼイ, since there are also no cases where it is „セイ“. I checked the New Nelson and this would confirm this:

7idiupi7qoefgnn2gt3u7uxbi.png
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Updated to match this page! https://kanji.jitenon.jp/kanjik/5491.html

4 years ago
Report Content
espiacent

I don't know it it makes sense to post each find so tell me if I should stop:

The on of is カイ, but in the dictionary (“words that use ") this reading is files under “irregular“.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

So, this time, it was actually a much larger problem! First off, a clarification:

1. Even if one of the readings is seen in the term, if the other kanji cannot be reliably bound to a reading, the entire thing is marked as irregular.

That being said, it turns out that the site has forgotten a particular variant of readings contracting when against other readings (せき + かい -> せっかい). So, it incorrectly marked it as irregular for this term as well as a number of other. I just finished redoing the entire batch, so it should look better now.

4 years ago
Report Content
espiacent

Cool thanks. I have another intersting case, maybe this is something larger as well: The kanji for example. It gives for example the folllowing word as an irrgular reading: れる/なきぬれる. But く(な.く) and れる (ぬれ.る) are both regular readings. So I guess it doesn't recognise something like な.き as regular then?

Also, regarding this kanji, there is an on reading ニン that it not used or that I at least can't confirm (https://kanji.jitenon.jp/kanji...), but I'll stop pointing out those things I guess. xD

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Actually, な is a valid reading for the actual kanji, not な.く. Just like you could not *normally* put なく above the kanji, nor could you (within the rules of readings) put なき over it as well. So, the way renshuu sees it is that it is not a normal reading.

A more obvious case would be しい/いそがしい. The reading on renshuu and elsewhere is いそが.しい, but it would not be assumed that a word could be formed with しい as part of the reading of the kanji.

Hope this helps!

You are free to point out as many reading issues as you'd like. Renshuu sources its readings from kanjidic (a free, open source kanji dictionary), but it does not have *every* reading available.

4 years ago
Report Content
espiacent

Oh, I was aware that the .く part is just the supplement for the kanji (i.e. for verbs etc.) and not the reading of the kanji itself. What I meant: Words like し or or れ etc. are build by a, at least that is my impression - specific rule. That is, that the supplemental reading for the relating verb is always reformed to the “i“ sound (to build composits etc.). I don't say this is like it is or how japanese works, but that is were my questions originated from.

--> る -> り / す -> し / す -> し and く ->

But of course I understand that strictly speaking those reading are not the same and probably not regular.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Even with a general pattern like that, I'd hesitate to stick it into the site as a rule - I realize it isn't ideal, but I think it is "safer" in this setup.

4 years ago
Report Content
espiacent

No sure, I totally agree.

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana