Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - [ANDROID] App loading time, hanging at about 70%

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

lightmotif
Level: 1792

Since you asked to report this, I've noticed that the app takes about 20 seconds on the loading screen (as opposed to the roughly 6 seconds loading the website on Android Chrome), half of that sitting at 70%. This happens every time I open the app (latest version also), and sometimes, though not for an obvious reason, when the app was already open.

Moto X4, Android 9

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

It takes 6 seconds to load the site?!? :( Is that on a fresh cache, or even with stuff loaded up? Does that happen for any page if you refresh it so it loads the entire page (outside of the ajax loading)?

I've never seen it take 20 seconds, but I have seen it sit there. Unfortunately, I have not yet figured out how to "listen" to the webview and see what it is sitting on. I know you can listen to it within chrome if the device is attached via usb to the computer, but it needs to be active before you can listen to it, and since this is an initial load, I cannot "catch" the issue because it is over by the time I load up the inspector. I had given up on it for the time being, but I'll see if I cannot try finding something else with some different search terms.

4 years ago
Report Content
lightmotif

My internet is perhaps not the greatest, but yes, renshuu takes about twice as long as the other sites I use to load on Android Chrome. That's when it's not cached. It's a little faster to load on refreshing.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I'm sorry to hear that! I've worked on trimming the downloads at the top, but obviously it's not enough. Looks like I can precache parts of it in the apk... I'll give that a try.

4 years ago
Report Content
lightmotif

I haven't had to debug a WebView under these circumstances, but if you can reproduce the lag you could try checking out any non-renshuu tagged warn/error logs you're getting in Android Studio while it loads up.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
4 years ago
Report Content
lightmotif

Down to 5 seconds!

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I've got more speediness coming up in the next day or so... Never got around to tree shaking the font files for the icons, brought the files down about 90 percent in size, will load them into the apk when I can!

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I drastically trimmed down the font files for the icons - except for one file which is giving me issues (the dual-tone icons), there should be a MUCH smaller download for the icons on the web version. I just uploaded another apk that has these icon files inside, so this should help as well.

4 years ago
Report Content
lightmotif

Much more responsive than the previous version!

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Awesome! Seems like it was largely resource loading issues, then. Just need to build the updater do it can pull down newer versions without a new apk.

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana