Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - It feels like it's starting me too high-level. How can I lower it?

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Noneuclidery
Level: 95
I just joined, and it asked me what level I'm at. I studied a few years ago, and remember all the kana, but didn't get very far otherwise. So I selected beginner, but that I don't need to study kana. But it now assumes I know all this kanji that I don't!
In vocab study, it shows me more complex words than I was expecting, and in grammar study, it asks me questions with kanji without furigana. I looked in my settings, and neither vocab or kanji were set to the lowest level. The customise button showed that it thought I'd read a textbook that I was unfamiliar with. I set them all down to the lowest level and unread, but that hasn't changed my study lessons.
What can I do? I don't want to struggle too hard too quickly.
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261

We're still working to get the initial settings just right, so I really appreciate the response!

So, first, the vocab. By default, the site shows unknown kanji in grey with furigana on top of it. You can change this to not show the kanji at all but hiragana by going into Settings > Vocabulary > Shown unknown kanji like this

The beginner level assumes a small amount of kanji knowledge. However, you can quickly toggle off anything you don't know at the moment and wait until you study it in the site to have it appear! I'm working on a new version of this page that'll better help users like you, but for the time being, please do this:

Learn > Kanji Index. Here, you can select, for example, Proficiency Test > JLPT > N5. The lowest level is based off of this. You can see a lot with the light bulbs indicating you know them. you can quickly turn them off one-by-one, or turn off the entire page. This will prevent them from appearing as kanji without furigana.

If, after this, you are still having issues with "black" (known) kanji, I'd love to see if there is a bug affecting your account. You can either post screenshots to this thread, or (probably easier), use the "problem?" button that appears at the top of the site when you are quizzing. That'll send me a direct copy of your quiz so I can see exactly what you're seeing!

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help! I think you've also helped identify that some users have some vocabulary and grammar, but still feel relatively weaker on kanji, so the site should be able to better help users like that. I'll keep this in mind as I update the site!

4 years ago
Report Content
Noneuclidery
Thankyou! I found the Kanji Index and unchecked a bunch on the Genki (2nd Edition) collection, although I kept on a few that I remember. Is there a way to do something similar for vocab and grammar? I found sentences in the dictionary that are already marked with the lightbulb, too, but not sure how to find everything marked to tone it down. (I'm the kind of person who enjoys fine-tuning everything. :) )

(If I can't, that's fine. It's already at a more appropriate level than it was before.)
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261
The "Look at EVERYTHING" and adjust it is a feature I am working on, but it isn't finished yet! If the terms are part of a list or schedule, then it's easy to adjust them out of that list. However, the Kanji Index is unfortunately restricted to Kanji only.
This site has a very high level of fine-tuning, but some of the areas need to be better exposed so those like yourself can better get at it!
4 years ago
Report Content
Noneuclidery
Yeah, I've been exploring the options. It's already a lot more freedom than I'd been expecting. :)
4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana