Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - How do I make better use of the grammar quizzes?

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Noneuclidery
Level: 95
I'm fairly new to Japanese, so when I get questions like this, I'm missing some required information to answer them.
2yqkkbtqpkt2kcmwgurrftzt0.pngIn this case, I know that the grammar I'm learning is も (for "nothing"), but that doesn't help, because all the answers have that. Instead it seems like I'm being tested on vocab. It's not the first time it's happened.

What should I do in cases like this? Am I starting on these too early?
4 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
Level: 1241

Sometimes the grammar quizzes are more asking about vocab, but then again a lot of Japanese grammar is about using the right vocab (as essentially a lot of Japanese grammar is about 1 to 3 sillable long hiragana only words and how they are to be used in a sentence).

In this specific case you provided as an example it is still about grammar, specifically how that grammar is to be used, as the used (or not used) particle after どこ affect the meaning of the sentence [or rather how much sense it makes otherwise].

On the grammar page for も [Nothing/no one/nobody (A)] is one additional usage/user note from マイコー as follows:

owtked7qyqouoarm3gxa787mf.png

Now I am unfortunately struggling to properly explain when to use どこでも vs. どこにも (i.e. how to determine which is to be used derived by what criteria of the used verb), beyond a general "で" indicates something is done at a location while "に" indicates that something is/exists at a location. In the example sentence you provided I would have chosen どこにも but more from the "this feels right" perspective and less from an academic "it has to be this way because" approach ^^".

Generally, in cases where you aren't sure which answer is correct as you have the feeling that something fundamentally is missing in your current understanding of this grammar point to understand what is supposed to be the "naturally correct" answer, I would suggest trying to re-review the corresponding grammar page to see if there is a (user) note explaining this specific case or not. If there is nothing there that helps explaining this next options would be to look up at other sources (The Basic/Intermediate/Advance Japanese Grammar book series, various websites/blogs) or ask here in the forums for someone to point you in the right direction :)

EDIT: Of course, after I submitted the post I tried my hand a second time at googling for this topic and this time I found something useful in the wanikani forums: https://community.wanikani.com.... Post #4 (from Leebo) repeats what I wrote above about the particles, but post #6 (LucasDesu) and #7 (Leebo, again) are elaborating a bit more on this.

So to summarize, the grammar point you were asked about essentially required understanding of the particles も, で and に and how they interact with each other to derive from the pieces given to you (the Japanese sentence + English translation) which is the correct response.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

To add on, the majority of the questions will ask you to choose between different grammar expressions. The example that you posted in the first post is definitely on the rarer end, where it tests usage of a single expression.

4 years ago
Report Content
ハリス1
Level: 43

I find the grammar aspect of renshuu to be the week point. The questions as they relate to the grammar point tested feel confusing, especially when you are a beginner. Also the vocabulary used in grammar questions sometimes is significantly advanced compared the level of the gramma(N5, N4, etc).

4 years ago
Report Content
Noneuclidery
I didn't realise until just now that I could click on the grammar words in the dictionary and go to a special grammar page. :O

I think I assumed everything I would need to know would be in the popup that introduces the new terms, but now that I think about it, there's a lot more to say on these terms than can be conveyed there. I'll make sure to look things up more.

Also, I had no idea that you could have two particles next to each other. I assumed the noun itself was doing something I hadn't seen before. But that makes more sense, thanks.

Huh, looks like I'm making a lot of assumptions...😅

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I find the grammar aspect of renshuu to be the week point. The questions as they relate to the grammar point tested feel confusing, especially when you are a beginner. Also the vocabulary used in grammar questions sometimes is significantly advanced compared the level of the gramma(N5, N4, etc).

Thanks for the candid comments. If you could provide any specific examples of what you find unsatisfactory, I'll definitely use it when improving the grammar materials! For example, what do you mean as confusing? Are they confusing in the sense that questions typically cover multiple grammar points (through the multiple choice answers), or that the introduction is unsatisfactory, or is it something else?

Thanks in advance

@Noneuclidery - I'll think about a way to make it clearer that the site has more materials for learning the grammar - maybe a popup modal that you can view without stopping the quizzing for things you want to look up.

4 years ago
Report Content
Noneuclidery
@Noneuclidery - I'll think about a way to make it clearer that the site has more materials for learning the grammar - maybe a popup modal that you can view without stopping the quizzing for things you want to look up.

Appreciated. I get how hard it is to design websites, though, especially ones as involved as this one. And you're doing that on your own, right? I'm very impressed by it all. ^_^
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I'd pay for someone else if I could, but that's not yet an option!

4 years ago
Report Content
ハリス1
Level: 43

@マイコー The thing with the grammar quizzes (for me) is that the sentences tend to have many things going on that can be distracting from the grammar point being tested when you are a beginner. Now that I have a better vocabulary and better grammar knowledge, things have gotten better. I also noticed that you made improvements (I think) on presenting the explanations after you submit an answer.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I see! So for beginner sentences, you think even simpler sentences would be beneficial. We'll definitely keep that in mind when we make more sentences! I appreciate you taking the time to explain the difficulties you're facing.

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana