Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - "Kana only" filter for Japanese Index

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements > Finished/Rejected Requests

Mayonade
Level: 1
Title says it all. I have only kanji reading/meaning question types selected on my main schedule, so have to put any terms which contain no kanji at all into a separate schedule or else they're unquizzable (end up in the "CANNOT study" category). Would be a great help to be able to filter these kinds of terms so I can throw em in the other schedule en masse.
Or perhaps a way to enable other question types but only for terms which none of your standard question types apply to? Sounds more difficult to implement though.

4 years ago
Report Content
DianaVS
Level: 20

Hey,

I had the same issue with one of my schedules. I found a workaround using the Japanese Index, these are the steps I did:

1. Create a new empty schedule for the kana-only terms, with the vectors that you need for this one.
  2. Go to the CANNOT study category in your main schedule, and mark all of them as "Do not study" in Tools > All terms > Mark as Don't Study.
  3. Go to the Japanese Index, select your schedule, and then add a filter: About me > Don't Study.
  4. In Actions, choose Schedule > pick the new Kana-only schedule, and add them.
  5. Go to your new schedule and check that they're all there (just in case). They may appear as cannot study still, do not remove the Do Not Study setting just yet.
  6. In the Japanese Index, use these same filters to remove the Do Not Study terms from your main schedule by selecting it in Actions > Schedules > Current schedule > Remove terms.
  7. Go to the main schedule and make sure that all the CANNOT study terms are gone.
  8. In the Japanese Index, select your new kana-only schedule, filter by About me > Don't Study.
  9. In Actions, select Know/Study > Can study.
  10. Go to the new schedule, you should now be able to study these terms.

Hope this helps!

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

Wow, that's a lot of steps. Give me a few minutes, and I'll have your request filled :)

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

The Japanese Index is one of the better designed parts of the site, so it was not hard to add this! I also added "Katakana". They can both be found under "About this term" in the Vocab Filters.

Enjoy!

4 years ago
Report Content
DianaVS
Level: 20

That's awesome, thanks! However, in this particular case, if there are words that are in the "CANNOT study" category because they contain unknown kanji, those will not be picked up by the filter "no kanji", right?

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Currently, no kanji means no kanji present in the term. Hmm..I think I can make a "no known kanji" as well. Let me think on it!

4 years ago
Report Content
Mayonade
Level: 1

Thank you!

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Seems to be a few bugs still, will knock them out soon!

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Ok, good news and bad news.

1. I believe the bugs you two were running into should be fixed.

2. It will not be feasible to add a "no known kanji" filter. The reason for this is that while it is relatively trivial to check this for terms you have studied before, it cannot be done in a fast enough manner for terms you have never studied before. So adding that one filter would require adding a lot of additional text elsewhere explaining that caveat, and I'd rather not have an option that requires such an explanation.

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements > Finished/Rejected Requests

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana