Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - (June 2020) Adventure Mode survey results (so far)

Top > renshuu.org > Announcements > Archived Announcements

マイコー
Level: 262

Although it's only been a few days, we've received a great response from you all about the new Adventure mode. I'd like to address what came of it, and what our future plans are.

General results

• A majority of users have had more motivation to study because of their personal Kao-chan!
  • About 40% of users also reported an increase in the amount of studying they get done.

We're thrilled that so many of you are enjoying it!

Potential additions to adventure mode

The titles don't appear completely in the graph, but this is the order of the sets.

• More daily challenges
  • Way to share your adventure progress outside of renshuu
  • Merging the hanko achievements with the adventure mode
  • Getting items
  • More personalization of the adventure system
  • Monsters!!

There was extremely high interest in monsters, and more interest than not in personalization, hanko blending, and more daily challenges.

Requests/comments and responses:

1. I want to reset my Kao-chan

Response: This is now available! Click on your Kao-chan for more information.

2. I want to see a preview of the evolution choices/I want to redo a choice

Response: We are thinking of the best way to implement these two, but they will be available by the end of the next beta. Most likely, to redo a choice, you'll have to put in some extra studying. That's what we're all here for, right?

3. Adventure mode on dark mode is blinding me

Response: We've already adjusted the colors for dark mode. Hope you like it!

4. I get levels too quickly!

Response: please respond here if you feel this way. If the system is working correctly, you should have to do all the challenges and study A LOT more than your daily average in order to get 2 levels a day. It is possibly that there is a bug making the XP go up too quickly. Let me know!

5. I want to personalize my challenges

Response: in case you didn't know, if you go into Motivators under Settings, you can disable categories of challenges.

6. I don't know how to do/get to some of the challenges

Response: we will be adding a way to click through the challenges and get to exactly where you need to be to do it. This will be in the next beta (starting this week).

7. Most actions on mobile renshuu are too high up on the screen, and are hard to reach

Response: we'll definitely work on this in the next beta!

Feel free to add any other comments or comment on the above information!

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

MONSTERS

I am very excited about this, and will do everything I can to get this into the next beta. I'd like to share my thoughts on it, and get any ideas that you have as well. These are still all ideas - nothing is confirmed or final.

Where monsters live:

Monsters will live within quizzes. In other words, a single quiz will have one or more monsters in it. Of course, this is all optional - it will not be forced on anyone.

Monsters and Kao-chan will react to your progression through the quiz. Successful actions will attack the monster, while unsuccessful ones will have Kao-chan suffering attacks by the monster. Thinking about a possible option where if Kao-chan loses all of its HP/whatever, the quiz ends.

What are "actions"?

The type of action for a quiz will be determined ahead of time. The most obvious would be "correct/incorrect answers". However, I'd love some ideas on other actions that the characters could react to. I definitely want to add time limits as a possible choice. Don't answer within xx seconds, the monster attacks.

Ideally, if it is time based, the timing will adjust to your personal speed, although it'll have to run on averages until it gets a better feel for how fast/slow you are.

How do I start a monster quiz?

1. You can invite monsters to any normal quiz. So, your daily schedule quizzing could have monsters "attached" to them.

2. (Limited) Daily monsters. These would be challenges selected by renshuu's system. I'm thinking of stuff like:

"Answer 20 questions of type ______ in minutes"

"Answer 10 questions of type _____ without any mistakes"

These would definitely be more of a challenge because you would have less freedom over what they contain. I'd definitely want to use this to encourage you to study areas you might not normally study, or study one of the monthly themed lists, etc.

Possible additions

1. Bosses? (not sure how to add this)

2. Monster-pedia (chart of all the monsters you've run into)

3. Seasonal monsters

PERSONALIZING ADVENTURE MODE

As mentioned in the survey, I do want to give you extra XP points for days you do not usually study (the goal is consistent studying!). I'd also like to possible add a small multiplier when you study for multiple days in a row.

What are some of your personal weaknesses in studying Japanese that you'd like to have renshuu help you overcome?

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892

I think I was one of the people who "complained" that Kao-chan evolves too quickly. The problem is not that I get 2 Levels easily, so I suppose the system works properly. My point is, that I easily get another level each day for just doing what I do on a daily basis anyway. That being said, there isn't much of a challenge.
I love Kao-chan, but would like for her to evolve somewhat slower. Other users may struggle with their progress, so I thought maybe of easy vs hard challange mode that is adjustable in the settings.

Adventure mode does prompt me to do other stuff on the site, such as games etc. But there are still some challenges that I practically never do, e.g. writing comments. As a personalised feature I'd like to skip and replace such a challenge.
On the other hand I have challenges that I do like, such as drag-and-drops. My kanji schedules are too small to trigger such questions often and I mostly get no more that 2 such questions. That being said I can practically never finish that challenge. So as another personalised feature I'd like to carry that challenge over when I already have some points on it, so I can finish it by and by.

Another thing I noticed is that I get similar challenges at the same time, e.g. "add 3 words to shiritori" and "add 6 words to kana shiritori" or "play 1 game". There I can finish two challenges in one go. That seems too easy for me. Others may like that, though.

4 years ago
Report Content
gillianfaith
Level: 877

I don't know how fast is "too fast", but I have been progressing very quickly for what I feel is very little studying. My daily routine has changed a lot recently, so instead of studying a reasonable amount every day I end up binging several hundred terms a couple times a week whenever I have time (which may be messing with the daily average you mentioned). I've already unlocked all of the Kao coins with bonus points and I get at least one level every study-binge, so it feels like my inconsistency is being rewarded as if I were studying normally.
4 years ago
Report Content
espiacent
Level: 760

Same for me. I think the evolution is a bit too fast. Maybe the levels could be adjusted so that the higher the level the more difficult it gets (more exp needed). Also: I just thought about something else: Why not use the coins as well as currency for buying cool features like this: "Spend 3 rare coins" to get double exp (and a fancy kao hat) for one day". Or something like that. That way the coins actually have another use and you won't just have all of them all the time and forever. ;)

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Thanks for the comments. It's tricky getting the system to work for different types of users, but you're giving me some ideas.

I was going to make 2nd+ Kao-chans significantly slower, but it might be better to do it gradually past a certain point, for example, level 30.

Additionally, binding xp gain with daily studying or with some kind of "hard" mode might go really well inside of a set of settings for calibrating your adventure mode. For example, you could turn on hard or intense mode that would reduce xp gain by 30% and 50%, for example. Turning that on would get you a marker somewhere. You could also have a "tie xp rate to percentage of days I've studied in last week", so for those that want it, they can turn it on.

Maybe all of this could get made available after level 20, so new users don't have to worry about it, but after awhile, you'd get those options. Don't scare off new users, but give those that are sticking around more control.

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Announcements > Archived Announcements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana