Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - "+ Add" option for example sentences in word learning panels

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

hogacz
Level: 73

Hi,

I'm very happy that I can collect and study list of sentences.

However, I found collecting appropriate sentences somehow difficult. Actually, most often I'm finding useful sentences I want to collect when looking at example sentences during vocabulary learning.

0tvwqfmymm3v0ej7emfpqi0fb.png

Could you please add this "+" feature there? It should work same way as the feature in results of sentence search (popup, list of lists, checkboxes to select the lists where sentence should be added).

Actually, this option should be available (almost?) everywhere sentence is shown, but to date I found this specific place extremely useful to me. Somehow those sentences are both short and well matching vocabulary and kanji I'm learning. And considering that I want to use sentences to help me learn vocabulary, this is a perfect place for such a feature.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

The site is a bit more discerning on that page in terms of what sentences it shows. for a growing number of the words, the first sentence is actually one that we marked as being simpler than not.

That being said, more buttons = more visual complexity, and since that's the first page that most new users hit (and it also where the highest % of users stop using the site), I need to be careful with what I add.

I'm not saying no, but let me think on it just a bit before I make an implementation!

We've got new quiz modes for sentences sooner than later, and I'm working on some sentence packs geared towards JLPT levels. Your single comment a few months ago has really inspired a lot in terms of where I'm taking the site!

4 years ago
Report Content
hogacz
Level: 73

Maybe hide it when "Simplify quizzing area" is configured and show if not?

Nice to hear that you are working on sentence packs :-)
Are you working on algorithms to roughly classify sentences basing on occurrence of vocabulary from various levels? I was thinking about something like that because of my own needs. I'm a programmer, maybe I could help? I'll also perfectly understand if you prefer doing it yourself / with your team. I'm just happy it's going on!

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

That is a possible place to include it, yes.

Regarding the sentence packs - they are going to be an integral part of the onboarding process for new users - so they have a sentence schedule ready to go. While the original source of the sentences contained many excellent examples, when it comes to lessons that we (renshuu) put our names on (like the grammar quizzing sentences), it is ultimately less time to just make up the lists ourselves with content that we generate. So we are going to make some packs like "Basic 200", "JLPT 5 500", "JLPT 4 1000", which will be separated into thematic sets, whether those are usage styles ("Basic questions"), or situations (Going to the doctor). They will ultimately all have recordings attached to them, and this will help with some of the new sentence quizzing styles I've got planned (listen/dictate (or fill in the missing word), unjumble the words).

When choosing sentences for the site's with-context word quizzing, it is an overly simple algorithm that just looks at length, *rough* JLPT level, and % of words in the sentence known by the user.

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana