Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Haiku topics (post your ideas here!)

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Karlla
Level: 892

Since it's rainy season now, a topic like or would have been nice.

Also I'm still waiting for and to appear as topics.

Can't we have a list somewhere, where people can suggest topics? Then you could just pick something from that list.

Sometimes I have an idea for a haiku but none of the topics suits me. E.g. recently I wrote two haiku on "mourning", but I'm not happy with where I put them.

Also is there maybe an easier way to move an existing haiku into another topic? A while ago I accidentally wrote a haiku under the wrong topic and to copy and paste it to the right topic and delete it from the wrong topic. That was very awkward.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

I'd be more than happy to take suggestions! I'll change the title on this thread so others can suggest it.

Rainy season is here, yes, but it'll be hot hot summer in a week or so for a lot of the world :)

Currently, there is no way to move user sentences from one area to another, and it's not something I'm considering at the moment, sorry!

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

1. Great^^

2. I get it. Still, "rainy season" is not only in Japan, and for those who live or vacation in Japan during this season may be interested in the topic after all. Maybe next year. ;)

Rain exists year round, and since we already have "snow" more than once, I feel that "rain" gets neglected.

3. Too bad. But I understand that you have other priorities.

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

Looking through the topics... Here are some things I'm missing

• nature (haven't got much in there)
    • さ・バテ
    • (If desired, popular flowers could even be specified.)
  • animals (there's almost nothing in this section)
    • (typically shows up in May; I didn't get to hear it this year, though)
    • (I think I hear them every day now)
    • (are yet to come in Japan)
    • ツバメ (known for "anouncing" the approach of summer)
  • travel (There's literally nothing here, even though it's a popular traditional topic.)
  • people
    • (mom's already covered, but let's not forget about dad)
    • (any parents around?)
  • "mourning" (There's , but I don't feel comfortable putting lost family members into that category.)
  • events/celebrations
    • Easter - Halloween - Thanksgiving (Not so much for Japan, but these seem to be popular enough celebrations in Europe and the US.)

To be continued...

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Great!

I'm admittedly not a haiku expert, so I really appreciate this.

I'd also love to hear your thoughts on the current state of the haiku system (although it really extends to all the communication based games). I don't think it's reasonable to continue to add to a huge list of topics. I don't think those should be removed , just hidden by default. Maybe, have 5 or 6 categories (broad categories), for example (I'm just spitballing here for the sake of the post)

Seasons:

Everyday life:

Feelings:

Me

Uhh..kao-chan?:

And those would be highlighted at the top - with the latest theme for that category displayed. Then, inside of each category, you could see older themes as well.

It could utilize the icon/tab based approach utilized in other areas of the site (like the dashboard). Instead of icons, though, we could use Saki's artwork for each category - it would add a bit more color to the page.

Also - are the leaders really needed anymore? Or maybe, bring them down from the top of the page.. I feel like the top visual layer should be as inviting as possible to new users.

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

I love the idea of having categories, that makes it so much easier to find the right topic for your haiku.
Categories have been utilized in e.g. the kokin wakashuu, where they have sorted 1111 poems into 20 categories. However these categories can be further compressed.
1-6 seasons
7 congratulations (maybe this could be changed into "celebrations" to list events like festivals etc.)
8 partings (Being apart from family or loved ones. This could merge either with "travel" or with "feelings".)
9 travel
10 is quite an interesting topic. One has to include a given word into ones poem. The interpretations is quite free though. E.g. うつせみ becomes のうつせみれば・・・ (When I look at the torrents of the beating waves...)
11-15 love can be merged with
16 sorrow into "feelings"
17-19 misc. (It is always nice to have one of those.)

Is it possible to have subcategories? Once you open a category, there's more categories to choose from.

• everyday life
    • family
    • friends
    • celebrations/events
    • work
    • travel
    • nature etc.

Of course it depends on the number of topics listed for each category. If there's only 3 topics, subcats would be quite redundant. But everyday life is such a broad category, that it would make sense to break it down even further

I can't imagine how you'd implement artworks instead of icon without getting this panel too large, but please go for it. I like Saki's artwork. Maybe something like a banner that contains the category name instead of the header?

As for the leaders, I never really cared about rankings, but sometimes I would look at the list telling me who's posted how many poems this week and especially how many I have posted. I certainly don't need to see them right at the top.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I'm working quickly towards the end of the current beta - I'd plan on implementing this in the next beta (mid July?), so I have some time to think on the layout.

I do think that it needs to be considered that on renshuu, we put up topics (sometimes silly ones) that would not typically be considered in traditional haiku, but might be more inviting for users. The goal, after all, is to give people different outlets for using their Japanese.

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

Yeah, Godzilla certainly doesn't fit the traditional topics. (I put him under animals.) (=^_^=)

Just as one beta ends, a new round comes up. You do keep a tight schedule. :o

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Since "write a haiku" is one of my challenges today, I looked into the topics again. I wrote one this morning, but I have no idea where to put it. So instead I spent some time pondering possible topics that may appeal to the modern non-Japanese user.
  • nature
    • (for a broader spectrum of weather situations incl. global warming, sand storms etc.)
    • (people like sea bathing, or surfing, right?)
  • the 5 senses (not a traditional topic, nontheless, ever present in tradional haiku)
    • (whether people write about noise that keeps them awake at night, their favourite music, the songs of birds or whatever is up to them)
    • (we have "food" twice, but let's not forget about the beverages. It's !)
  • activities
    • (people like talking about such topics, may they like writing poems about it, too?)
    • ・レッスン・ (we've got "work", but isn't everyone here also a student)
    • ・sleepless night (don't we all like to sleep in from time to time or complain about the lack thereof?)

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I'm hoping I'll be able to include the haiku page in my set of "refresh" areas in the next beta! Should be doable.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I'll be adding several of these to the new haiku batch (I add them every 6 months). The next beta keeps getting pushed back due to app development and the never-ending grammar preparations, but I'll get to this one day.

3 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana