Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Question mark at the end of sentence?

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

coin
Level: 368

Maybe this is a bit of a ridiculous question, but I am wondering about it, so here we go:

Do Japanese language use question marks at the end of question sentences?
(I mean in formal Japanese with the desu, masu etc, not how we text with friends etc.)

I notice that the example sentences here at Renshuu often uses question marks at the end, but as far as I can recall back in the day (approx 10 years ago), when I went to Japanese language school and studied it in uni, I can not recall us writing them? The particle ka in itself was enough for it to indicate that it was a question, IF I recall it correctly. I have not studied Japanese for years and I am just getting back into it, so I might have a total brain-fart here and have actually used question marks for formal Japanese in the past. Or maybe this is a fairly new thing? A recent change since language is dynamic?

Edit: I did some googling, and a lot of sources still say question marks are not used in formal Japanese - but these sources also seem to be 3 - 5 years old. (Example from Tofugu: https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/japanese-punctuation/)

4 years ago
Report Content
apples
Level: 6

Yup like you found question marks are not used it formal Japanese; just か plus 。is good. In casual Japanese question marks ok though.

3 years ago
Report Content
TansuiNingyo
Level: 470

I have a question related to this. The way I understood it, if there's a question word in the sentence, like , then an additional か isn't necessary to identify it as a question. But occasionally I see sentences with both a question word and か...

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

You can drop the か in some casual situations and short-form verbs (たべる instead of たべます), but it would not sound right to say べます。

べる? which a rising intonation at the end would work in casual situations, though!

3 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana