Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Reading questions

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

mysticfive
Level: 1573

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I'm really not liking how the reading questions are looking. For the past couple of days, instead of the word being quizzed being highlighted, it's only underlined. This is really hard to see, especially if there's any kind of glare on the screen - can the highlighting come back?

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

The highlighting doesn't work well in dark mode in certain situations - I'd really like to stay away from highlighting if possible. I can work on the size of the underlining, or the coloring of the term itself to try and get an improvement. Just to make sure you're seeing what I'm seeing, but can you send a screenshot of a question?

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

For example:

4 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive

Not using dark mode; looks like this:

5dsq2bmewy830tnwtbyu0uvqu.jpg
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

What do you think about the character coloring above?

4 years ago
Report Content
じゅうり
Level: 1685

Just chiming in, I hate the underlining. It's causing major eye strain. Please remember we're not all teenagers with 20/20 vision using a phone. Some of us are older than you with vision problems and using a pc. I've had to do a lot of moving around (myself and the screen) just to figure out which term is underlined.

The colored term seems like a viable option, but the color needs to be brighter. This is especially important when quizzing single words in a sentence because the underlining disappears into the background.

02zm7u0p67mbgto8uupm845tk.png

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Thanks for the feedback - that's what the beta is for, to test these things out. I am personally primarily on a PC, and haven't been in a teenager for quite some time.

Although I feel like I've spoken about this elsewhere, as I feel I'm fairly upfront with the renshuu users regarding the site, but there is a major life change coming up for my family in the next few months. Because of that, if I cannot make renshuu larger than it is now, then it is simply not something I can maintain and maintain a healthy balance with the rest of my life. That's why I've been pushing so hard with the new features, the app beta, and everything else this year. I'm looking at as much as I can on the site, and seeing if it looks like something that might be keeping new users from sticking around.

As you most likely know, though, my strengths are on the back end of developing things, not the user interface. It takes me time to get things looking good enough for enough people, colors more so than other things.

That being said, back to the issue. You're using the night mode - do you feel that the "day" mode's coloring is alright, and it's only the dark mode green that could be brighter?

4 years ago
Report Content
じゅうり

Took a look at regular mode, and if you're going to leave it as underlined the line definitely needs to be thicker and more solid. Right now it's transparent. It's simply too easy to miss. Brighter colors would help a lot. (see my previous screenshot for "find the term") Maybe a nice bright green for both? (something along the lines of the correct answer box)

557imgkp7zes2vjxgjdoxwiso.png

Having done this, let me say I am eternally grateful to you for dark mode.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I stay entirely in dark mode, myself. Even in the daytime, day mode is too bright to me now.

To be honest, after mysticfive first brought this up and I tried playing with the text colors, I personally have to say I like that more, and it seems to stand out. I think the biggest visual problem with the background-color is the block itself just doesn't look good, especially if it has to leave vertical space for furigana because something else in the sentence has it.

Let me whip up a few more examples, and I'll throw them out to you guys to see what looks best.

4 years ago
Report Content
じゅうり

I like the idea of colored terms myself. I find the underlines too easy to miss. It just needs to stand out a bit more.

4 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive

I like the colored terms version you threw out there earlier - the green showed up really well against both backgrounds.

4 years ago
Report Content
ロンダ
Level: 1661

I like the colored terms also.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I've added the green color in for testing.

I've also tinkered a bit with the spacing between the Japanese and the English - it'll only affect you if you have the settings on to show the sentences in a larger font.

Please let me know what you think!

4 years ago
Report Content
mysticfive

I think it looks great, but now I'm wondering about accessibility - would there be enough contrast for someone who's colorblind? I have no idea how that would play out, but just something to check.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Good point - will try to look into it at some point!

4 years ago
Report Content
じゅうり

I really like this. It looks very nice in dark mode. In day mode... maybe bump the brightness (for both versions) up a notch or two.

There are filters you can apply that will show you what the site looks like for colorblind people.

Oooh, an idea--maybe do something similar for unknown terms? Make them solid pink instead of underlined?

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

So, since unknown terms are secondary in terms of importance, for now, I'd like to keep them as underlines. Especially for newer users with a majority of unknown terms, a ton of colored words would most likely be overwhelming.

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana