Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - system to show only approved sentences

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

|マルコ|
Level: 110

yesterday after reporting 4-5 example sentences that used り instead of り, and kind of giving up on that because there where 5 more pages of it where I suspected the majority had the same problem, kind of made me consider (I'm sorry to say) I can't quite keep recommending renshuu over anki to a begginner in good faith when anki most used decks come with a single example sentence and thus has been handpicked and verified.

It is usually ok for us because we can usually tell when a sentence is wrong, but begginners having to deal with incorrect sentences just adds a lot of unneccessary struggle to their learning, I think.

My suggestion would be for this to be working in the reverse, where by default all the example sentences are hidden except for the ones that have been approved or reached a certain ammount of upvotes, let's say 3 upvotes, so that during a quiz only good sentences come up

There might be a button that says "show unchecked sentences" that would bring up all the example sentences that currently come up, with the current ammount of upvotes on them visible, so one could add a vote to one or some to bring them over as default "verified sentences" (only for them) that will now show up by default during their quiz, and by doing this inevitably some sentence will reach 3 upvotes and shows by default for every other user

A bit like the current image system, where you can pick an image only for yourself but it also contribute to other users vocab images, except this has a threshold of 3 users picking it in order to propagate to everyone else

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261

Thanks for the candid comments. We actually have a system for our native speaker to choose at least one verified sentence for each word (and this word is prioritized in the introduction module), but we're spread really thin in terms of where time is devoted to. I definitely agree, it needs to be improved. We are currently at 53% coverage for marked and verified sentences. (53% does not mean of all words in the dictionary - it means based on frequency of word appearance, you have a 53% chance of getting a sentence that has been verified by a native speaker). We could have a lot more, but we are trying to limit it to sentences that are generally simpler/shorter in nature.

There is rarely (but it appears from time to time) a "mass" mistake, usually involving two words with the same hiragana reading. There's probably been 4-5 over the last few years, and it is much easier for me to handle them en masse than having individual corrections reported for them. I'll take a look at まわり and have some adjustments in the next day or so.

You might have noticed, but we are putting a lot more work into the content in the site (grammar, sentences) as functionality matures throughout the site, and I will make sure we revisit this and try and get that up, bit by bit.

I just took a look, and we have 45,000 sentences with a rating of 3 and over. (that is cumulative, so likes and dislikes together).

For the time being, I can do the following:

1. After native verified sentences, preference sentences with high ratings for the introduction module.

2. Add an option (been meaning to do this) to decide how sentences are sorted when presented.

These are relatively easy to do. Unfortunately, your suggestion to not show unchecked sentences will be a bit more difficult, as it'll require some trickiness as to how it holds onto the total number of sentences for each word (it'd be too time-expensive to count each time). Let me think on it.

For now, I'd like to work with these three things. They are more or less behind-the-scenes, so they don't require added complexity to the UI.

Let me know what you think! And I'l get on the まわり stuff soon.

4 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|

Those sound like great ideas :)
I would also suggest that the staff approved/verified sentences would have something distinctive about them, maybe an icon that makes the user aware that that sentence is "safe" to read (even at my current stage, that would still help me as well), don't know if this is already present and I've missed it :/

Also, a bit unrelated, but there is a topic or a place where I can keep watch to know of all the current/latest updates and changes to the site?
Today I've realized one can access grammar quizzing above N5 even not being a Pro user, that totally went over my radars x_x

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

That change to grammar quizzing was made a looooong time ago :). All expressions are open for quizzing, but the questions themselves are limited for free users.

To be honest, every time I try and keep a changelog, I forget to do it. I do think I've gotten pretty good about documenting the large changes that come out of beta each round.

I'll think about markings for the sentences!

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Update:

まわり has been purged! Should all be good now.

I've added golden stars next to "reputable" sentences. They should appear first in most areas of the site. Mousing over (or tapping the star will tell you whether it is because of a native speaker verification or a high rating.

4 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|

awesome :D

I'll go check it out ^_^

4 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|

I've tried and I like it, well done! :) so now both begginners and me can directly read the safe sentences, rather than pre-emptively avoid reading them out of fear of learning wrong stuff xD

This thing I'm about to say is totally not important, I'm just throwing out there as a random idea in case you like it:

4icoj8sme3z2gev6u4r7vu8fb.png

I've noticed the stars make the text go out of alignment (japanese and english), and also the alignment is different between sentences with stars and without, and also the star itself might be competing a bit too much for attention (though that might partially be due to the color, I am not sure), so I've thought of this:

kbw4jurzgjpktvcp2apdimadw.png

whit this layout, the star would be highlighted for approved sentences and grayed out for the unchecked sentences, and this way everything stay lined properly with the focus still on the sentence :)

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I appreciate the suggestion, but the star there really makes it look like it is part of the button set.

Alternatively, it could be a line of text under the English: ★ Verified by native speaker, or ★ Rated highly by renshuu users

But that text becomes repetitive, and it would really stretch out the vertical length of the content.

4 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|

Ah, I see the point, nevermind then, the current star is perfect :)

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana