Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Problems with pro fonts

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Page: 1 of 2

Karlla
Level: 892
I'm quite reconciled with the fact that the pro fonts don't show on my pc, I'm barely using it for renshuu anyway. But I keep having problems with them on my mobile (android, chrome). I think I complained about it somewhere several weeks ago. Since then, after logging out and back in, I've been able to display hiragino for a couple days, a week at most. It's been a couple days already that I quizzed in the morning with hiragino in place and then resumed quizzing in the afternoon, where renshuu reloaded (not sure if I had to relogin despite never loggin out), and suddenly the font was gone. I've tried log out and back in several times but I can't get it to show up again. I tried switching to kaimin, but that is equally not displaying.

What can I do to have the font(s) displayed consistently? What can I do to get it working again in the first place?
Thanks

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 260

What type of phone is it?

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

Asus

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Sorry for not being more clear, do you know what model it is? I have a guess as to what it might be, but I need to try and emulate your setup to get the issue to come up.

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

It's a zenfone. The model no. is X00LD, I believe.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Thanks. While I'm looking into it, I'd like to run a little test and see if my suspicions are correct.

With your current settings (kaimin or hiragino), please reload the page and see if they appear. The font might not appear for all characters. But if it appears for any of them, let me know. Try looking at a term list in one of your schedules and see how it appears.

Thanks!

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

I still don't see any hiragino. :(

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Alright, one more test with this. Please check again (make sure you refresh the page). If it works, more or less no kanji should appear in the font, but all kana should appear. Let me know!

If not, hmm...then we'll have to try in a different direction.

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

I refreshed, even logged out and back in, but no change. Kanji everywhere and no Hiragino. Sorry

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Well, the kanji wouldn't disappear - just remain in the default font.

Ok...I'll keep thinking about different ways we can test this. There are no bugs whatsoever that are popping up, and my biggest guess (that it was too intensive for the phone/computer, and that's why it wasn't working) proved not to be the case.

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

I don't know what happened or what you did, but right now Hiragino decided to make an appearance again. I wonder how long it'll stay...

Apparently only some kanji convert to Hiragino while the majority remains in default. This is how my quiz looked like just now.

3pdjcwethsx8g0gexk0w3o6qj.jpg
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I didn't change anything. :( The "only a bit appearing" is part of the testing I was doing - I had a hypothesis that the number of characters being requested for the font was causing the problem.

I'll switch it back to the full set for you and see what happens. You'll have to refresh the page to get the rest of the font loaded.

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

It looks good now. The only thing that seems to remain in default is the katakana dash, though.

2t32k0s0tsxoa7zkwwihee6ue.jpg
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I tried explicitly adding the "dash", see if it's better now.

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

Looks better now.

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

I noticed that some kanji don't pick up the font. Is that because they're not standard kanji?

3wgkqgrvhne6rfd24xysbs0rp.jpg
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Yes, that's why.

This is something I'd like to resolve if possible in the future, but it's a bit more work for a small payoff.

Basically, these awesome fonts are locked behind a web service (the company that licenses the fonts). You cannot just download the font to your computer. You have to say "I want the font for all these characters" each time the site loads (that is, not the in-between page loads, but when you first open up a tab). After that, it does not pick up new characters on the page and download the font, it only displays it for the set originally asked for.

Already, I ask for the basic 6500(ish) kanji characters, and that's a pretty hefty load for browsers, especially older ones. Having it download all 12,000 when the average user is only going to see a few hundred in any given session is overkill, unfortunately.

What I would like to do is set up a system where it only downloads what is on the page (plus a subset of the most common ones). They, on any page load, if it picks up anything new, it would call the font service and grab those. This would fix your issue, *and* make the initial page load much faster.

Of course, it's a tricky one. I'm hoping to at least test the service out in the next beta, or maybe make it as an option for users that want to help test it out.

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

Last night, while I was using the site, Hiragino suddenly stopped working again. Tried logout and login, but still not working. (;_;)

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla

After refreshing the site to start a new day of quizzing, Hiragino is in place again. I really wonder who or what keeps interfering with the font display. And why...

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Since there is no change occurring on this end, I can only imagine that it is the service/company that provides the fonts. That being said, it's going to probably take a repeatable situation (and one that I can replicate here) in order to dig out what is actually causing it =/. Based on the way that service is implemented, it is something that would require some developer tools that are tricky to use on pc, and almost impossible to use on mobile without a lot of jumping through hoops.

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 2

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana