Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Kanji font issues

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

akikaze
Level: 100

Was there a change to the default kanji font during the August upgrade? I've been having issues with certain kanji characters since yesterday. They no longer show in the same form I see them on other sites, like Jisho.org, , etc. Instead they have a stylized form. Fonts with "thread" and "pot cover" radicals seem to be the only ones affected, at least that I've seen so far. For example, this is what I see on Renshuu:

k6jerm07dqaizzjtqs8zn0r75.jpg

And this is what I see everywhere else:

38g3naaojfr3sogchsudgkmvt.jpg

I didn't even recognize the version in the top image when I first saw it. I thought the lower left was "water" and it took me a moment to figure out what was going on.

Yesterday, looked exactly like the left part of the top image. Today, it looks different. Not like it used to look, but close enough that it's easily recognizable. So something seems to be going on.

I don't know if this is an issue with the site or with my browser perhaps, or with something in the Japanese locale. About a month ago, the default Latin alphabet font changed on me to something so thin that I could hardly read it, but it was back to normal the next day, so I didn't report it.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261

No changes were made to the font, and I cannot as of yet replicate this. What os/device/browser are you running on? Hopefully I can replicate the issue, which should make fixing it much easier.

4 years ago
Report Content
akikaze

I'm using Firefox in Linux (Fedora) desktop. I just checked in a Chrome-based browser, and it showed the standard font. Firefox on my Android phone also shows the standard font. Firefox on my desktop is still displaying the stylized font though.

I also just tried out several different Japanese-language sites that I didn't try earlier, and all of them them but two display the standard font. WWWJDIC and the NHK news site display the same stylized font as Renshuu. All other sites and my desktop IME show the standard font, so it's not a problem with the font on my computer. Firefox seems to be displaying two different Japanese fonts for some reason.

4 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892

As for itohen, I probably wouldn't notice that one. But I was baffled yesterday, when

uird4t7doc5cadswvebyzwyt2.jpg

appeared like this for the first time ever in one of my quizzes. Apparently, when I write it with my pc (FF on win7) here in the forum it looks just like that, but in the dictionary it looks normal. I cannot replicate that on mobile anymore because of hiragino being in place now.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I'll try and replicate it, and let you know when I have more info!

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Well, I just tried it on firefox on win10 and ubuntu 18.04, no dice.

How familiar are you with the web inspector tool in firefox, if at all?

4 years ago
Report Content
akikaze

I'm very familiar with it. I did a check and on both Renshuu and Jisho, the web inspector window itself displays as in the top image, even though on the actual page Jisho shows it as the bottom image. Gmail also shows as the top image. I have a feeling my Firefox is showing the stylized version by default, but sites like Jisho and are using font-families that override it.

Here are the font-families used:

Jisho: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, "Source Han Sans", "ゴシック", "Hiragino Sans", "HiraKakuProN-W3", "Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN W3", "Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN", "ヒラギノゴ ProN W3", "Noto Sans", "Noto Sans CJK JP", "メイリオ", Meiryo, "ゴシック", YuGothic, "MS Pゴシック", "MS PGothic", "MS ゴシック", "MS Gothic", sans-serif;

Renshuu: "ヒラギノゴ Pro W3","Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro","メイリオ",Meiryo,Osaka,'Open Sans','Helvetica','Neue',"MS Pゴシック","MS PGothic","Takao Pゴシック","TakaoPGothic","IPA Pゴシック","IPAPGothic",sans-serif;

I upgrade Firefox to 79.05 the other day, and that could be what changed my font. 80 is out and should be available soon for Fedora, so another upgrade can happen in a day or two.

4 years ago
Report Content
akikaze

So after a bit of investigating, I believe the offending font is Noto Sans. That's the default Japanese font in Fedora. I don't normally see it as I use a monospace font in my standard text editor. Whatever made Firefox start using it, I don't know. Oddly, though, Noto Sans is on Jisho's font list but not yours. Something else is catching the font on Jisho before it reaches Noto Sans.

I tried changing the default CJK font in Firefox, but it still displays the same way. I'm not sure what I can do then. I guess I'll have to either get used to it or fire up Chrome when I want to study on Renshuu.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I'm sure I can get it fixed, don't worry! The only thing I can think of that might have changed is that I changed the html tag that shows the site's langauge as jp to en. I did this because I found out that some users were having their browsers automatically convert Japanese when they were on a site marked as Japanese, so their quizzes would have the definition (English), then converted the hiragana answers to English (haha).

So it is possible that because of that, the browser is saying "hey,for this language, use this font."

Can you try this for me?

https://stackoverflow.com/ques...

This shows how to actually show the rendered font being used, not just the font-family list. I'd like to see what it says in Chrome and Firefox for you.

4 years ago
Report Content
akikaze

I forgot you could do that. It's been a while since I've done any front-end work.

Firefox says both Jisho and Renshuu are displaying "Noto Sans CJK SC," which would be the default on Fedora. Chrome says "Droid Sans Japanese" for Renshuu, which I also have on my computer, and "Noto Sans CJK SC" for Jisho.

Droid Sans is not what I was seeing on Renshuu previously in Firefox. It's a much thicker font. The font I currently see on Jisho is the same one I was seeing on Renshuu.

Also, I noticed on Jisho that it's displaying both versions of the same character, and both are listed as Noto Sans CJK SC.

yot608w5cae2av0motmuusnrf.jpg

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Alright, please give me a few days - I'm going to spin up a copy of Fedora in VirtualBox and see if I can't replicate the issue.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Took awhile for Fedora to play nice in the VM. Can you tell me if it looks better to you now?

4 years ago
Report Content
akikaze

Yes, it's back to how it used to be in Firefox. I also checked in Chrome, and it now is also displaying Noto Sans instead of Droid Sans. Thanks!

4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana