Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - setting mastery levels lost on wrong answer

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

|マルコ|
Level: 110

Is it possible to set the mastery levels a vocab lose on a wrong answer?
For instance, if I have a vocab lvl 6 and I answer wrong, I would like it to go back 4 levels to level 2

(I mean aside from setting the mastery level for the vocab manually, which is time consuming between page loadings and vocab search)

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

Sorry for the delay!

Sounds like a feature, which means it'll have to wait until the next beta. I'm still not happy with the user retention on the site, and I am overseeing a HUGE grammar materials expansion, so the next beta, when it starts, will probably be rather light on features, and rather heavy on a)contents and b)ui changes. I'll see what I can do, though!

3 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|

I'm still not happy with the user retention on the site

In my opinion the problem there is, no matter how easy you make it to use, the site simply offer to much for the beginner or lazy user to be discovered by themselves.

At the same time if they only see what's on the surface (an SRS site) without being aware of all the cool feature it has (like for example, highlighting unknown vocabs in example sentences) then they might think "why not using Anki then, which is more popular"

Therefore (still in my opinion) the solution to this would be to have as the first thing when someone access the site a cool video that manages in 2-3 minute to quickly throw at the user all the things they can do in the site, and its cool features.

Also a thing to notice, some people to which I recommended this site instead preferred Anki because of the Yomichan sinergy with it.

Yomichan is a browser plug-in that bring up the dictionary entry when you hover the mouse over a japanese word in a site, and with a click it can send that word directly into your Anki deck... I wonder if negotiating with Yomichan creator the same capability for renshuu would help :)

3 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|

Two other things I forgot to mention:

1) some user sent to renshuu maybe try it without even knowing what SRS is and why they might want to do it. That is a good thing to quickly explain them in the first 20 seconds of the a video.

2) some other user to which I recommended the site instead of Anki answered on the line of "what if I don't need those extra features?" Apparently for them the "perceived simplicity" of Anki (even only the fact you don't need to register an account) is a strong selling point, even though in reality Anki is really hard and not very user friendly if you wish to edit some stuff (it's almost like programming...)

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Thanks for the comments! A somewhat professionally made video might be nice, but it's not something in my skillset, so making it will need to wait. I used to mention SRS in the older landing page, but took it off of the newer one in favor of things we thought are more appealing for potential users

As to the "I just want something simple", it's going to be hard to fight that - renshuu covers (almost) everything, and so it can't really fight the "does one thing" style apps.

I'm not sure if you've looked down at the new landing page (from August, I think) - it does a pretty good job showing some of the big things that are unique to renshuu.

3 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|

I'm not sure if you've looked down at the new landing page (from August, I think) - it does a pretty good job showing some of the big things that are unique to renshuu.

I don't think I have, how do I access it?

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Log out, go to renshuu.org, with anything added after it.

3 years ago
Report Content
|マルコ|

I see, that page looks great, the only feedback I can give about it is that given the registration is on top, I wonder how many people actually realize they can scroll and interact with the page below rather than registering right away and skipping the whole intro. Also some people are just lazy and even if they realize there is text below, they don't bother reading it

I wonder if wouldn't be better to put it after the registration, but as a series of interactive and mandatory stuff one has to try before being free to use the site, just to be sure new user get an overall understanding of what the site can do.

If usually people leave soon after joining, then at least we are sure that they leave knowing what the site is about :D

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I do not do much analytics, so I went with the "industry standard" of registration at the top.

I do believe that a lot of people are reading some/all of it, as registrations almost doubled after the new page was released. Yes, the top part was also catchier than before, but not enough to double registrations.

As always, the most people leave on the "let's look at the new terms" page. Going to start doing some A/B testing real soon to see if I cannot figure out some of the causes. It's hard to get information out of people who left :)

3 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana