Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Tranlations from English to Dutch

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Anything Goes

ジェン~1984
Level: 525

I know this might not be my place, but if you help out with translating from English to Dutch I find very often that what is translated in ten words in English, is translated to one word in Dutch. I even found a sentence that was clearly translated by a search engine and copy pasted. If you don't like to much effort, stick to translating things with two words, please. Now everyone needs to do the same thing twice and maybe subtle diff don't seem to mean much in Dutch, they can be of cultural significance in Japanese or when you are building more complex sentences. There's a ton of info on word hippo for instance. We are all making sure other ppl can use Renshuu to learn a language. Sorry to come across so annoyed, but I sometimes take ten minutes to translate one word so to see ppl taking huge shortcuts makes me a bit angry tbh.

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

Without getting into too much data (which I unfortunately cannot do at the time), there's two main sources of data for Dutch (and most languages) - the original dictionary file that renshuu uses (JMDict) and user contributions. If it's the former, then it wasn't any particular user.

That being said, maybe adding an additional checkbox on the translation system to when you one is validating someone else's suggestions, then need to explicitly check a box saying "This covers all of the definitions in the original". Do you think that would help some?

2 years ago
Report Content
ジェン~1984

I have no idea. It works on insurance forms, where they ask if everything filled in is treu. So scientificly it should.

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

Ok, I added a check that I think will hopefully improve the situation.

2 years ago
Report Content
ジェン~1984

Thank you!

2 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Anything Goes

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana