Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Image quizzing

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

rice.
Level: 167

Before anything else, I'd like to apologize if my english is not the best.

I'd like to suggest an option where we can have study vectors such as Image question → Kanji/Kana answer. I feel like it'd be a great help for those like me who are visual learners and I know this might not work for new learned words, but i wanted to try suggesting something. Sorry if this was talked about before and it's a work in progress or has been rejected. (っ- ‸ - ς)

2 years ago
Report Content

You could do this for words that have images (most don’t), but many of the images in the renshuu dictionary don’t give you a very good idea of what the word means.

I used to like Drops because of the image based quizzes, but soon I found it frustrating because similar words would use near identical images, which were arbitrary and difficult to remember, and because the vocabulary there was so limited.

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

I would *love* to add this in the future, but ポールおじちゃん points out the biggest issue - ambiguity. I think the best way to overcome this is to have multiple images for the same image. If you have one picture of orange juice, it may be "orange juice", "cup", "orange", "drink", etc., but if it was 3-4 pictures of orange juice, the ambiguity would be decreased greatly.

We currently have about 19,000 pictures on renshuu, but they cover 17,000 words. That means that at most, 2000 words have more than one image.

Depending on how we grow, though, it's definitely something I'd love to try to expand! We've done image collecting activities with the community in the past, but it can be really hard for us to validate all of those images (and make sure they are valid, appropriate, good quality, etc.).

2 years ago
Report Content

What does “multiple images for the same image” mean?

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Whoops! Multiple images for each word.

2 years ago
Report Content
rice.
Level: 167

You're right, ambiguity would be a big problem! I didn't think of it before because I was thinking of it as if I would've chosen the image. I hope someday we can get something like this and it works out well.

2 years ago
Report Content
Gracchen
Level: 58

Maybe this is too much work for some but I would love to manually put my own pictures for some of my vocabulary to try image --> kanji/katakana/hiragana? I did this with my paper flashcards with my little doodles.

4 months ago
Report Content
マイコー

Building out the infrastructure for such a feature would be significant enough that it would have to have a pretty wide reach - being accessible and usable to most users, otherwise it would not justify the time costs for building it.

4 months ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Feature Requests/Improvements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana