Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Studying Kanji's separate readings?

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

exotrip
Level: 9

Hello,

I'm quite unsure how to go about kanji's readings. Wouldn't it make more sense to study them inside of vocabulary, instead of asking to remember seperate readings?

And if I'm supposed to know a kanji's reading and I click the unknown button, will it first ask for the reading once it appears inside a vocabulary card?

Thank you!

2 years ago
Report Content

There are many opinions on the best way to study kanji. Do what works for you.

Personally, I like to study the readings when I learn the character and make sure there is at least one word for each reading in my vocabulary list. That does mean that learning a new character is more work than learning a new word, but there are many more words than characters, so it works out.

I don’t understand the second half of your question, so I will have to let someone else address it.

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 260

The readings will still possibly appear inside of vocab terms, but if you mark any reading as unknown, it will not show up in kanji quizzes.

I am looking into possibly deeper integration between kanji readings and vocab terms in the future, but not quite yet.

2 years ago
Report Content
gillianfaith
Level: 872

Just to note, if you don't want to be tested on readings in kanji schedules, you can turn those vectors off in the schedule settings. Turning on the kanji->kana vector in your vocab schedules instead will effectively let you study readings exclusively through vocabulary, if that's how you'd prefer to learn.

It can be easier to remember kun'yomi readings when you're studying kanji in the context of vocab, because kun'yomi are native Japanese words that don't have a specific pattern for determining the connection between the glyph and the sound. However, IMO on'yomi readings are more effective to learn by rote, unless the kanji is read that way in a word you'd be studying anyway. A large number of characters have phonetic components that make their on'yomi easy to guess and remember once you're familiar enough with the readings of other characters that look similar, so making the connection between the glyph and the sound is just as important as the glyph and the meaning.

2 years ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1195

Hello,

I'm quite unsure how to go about kanji's readings. Wouldn't it make more sense to study them inside of vocabulary, instead of asking to remember seperate readings?

And if I'm supposed to know a kanji's reading and I click the unknown button, will it first ask for the reading once it appears inside a vocabulary card?

Thank you!

I feel that the "phonetic approach", i.e. learning the common kanji readings, is better for me (your results may vary), because if I come across a word I don't recognize I can sound it out. Once I sound it out, there's a good chance I recognize the word (based on how it sounds). With kanji, it is a bit trickier to sound it out, because there are multiple pronunciation for a kanji, but I can usually guess it pretty accurately. I think it makes learning new vocabulary easier, because if a word is made of multiple kanji, and it has a standard pronunciation for those kanji, I only have to learn the kanji for the word to know how to pronounce it and spell it.

That being said, I'd suggest you use the approach that works for you and that keeps you motivated.

2 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana