Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Mnemonic contest for Hiragana/Katakana (July/August, 2022)

Top > renshuu.org > Announcements > Archived Announcements

マイコー
Level: 256

TPeriod: July and August, 2022

How to enter: Have a mnemonic (= easy way to remember) one of the hiragana or katakana characters? Go to Resources > Kana chart in renshuu's menu, then tap the brain icon for the character you want to write a mnemonic for!

Winners: The top 20 mnemonics (10 for hiragana, 10 for katakana) will be rewarded with a month of renshuu pro!

Details:

1. The winners will be chosen by the renshuu staff

2. If two or more mnemonics for a single character are overly similar, the one submitted earlier will be considered.

3. One person can win up to twice (two months).

What is a mnemonic?

A mnemonic is a memory device or trick used to help remember something. When it comes to Japanese characters, mnemonics often use the shapes found inside of the character to help the learner remember.

For the above example, the character り (ri) looks similar to a river (with the word 'river' containing the pronunciation 'ri').

**Entries in this thread will not be considered.** However, if you have a drawing you'd like to submit along with your submission, you can paste the image here (just make sure you entered the mnemonic on the Kana Chart page!)

The Winners!

We had over 800 submissions during the entry period, and while it was extremely difficult narrowing down the mnemonics, we settled on 30 winners (15 hiragana, and 15 katakana). They are listed below, and have been sent a direct message with their free renshuu pro!

Additionally, we gave some complimentary renshuu to all participants. Thanks you!

か - か(ka) the arm of the K is falling down. Also looks like a chair. (By: にゃ-ちゃん)
く - Coo coo bird mouth making a ku sound (By: wadawater2)
こ - Two koi fish swimming in a pond, viewed from above. (By: アレックス833)
さ - smiling monkey (saru) (By: t888)
し - A fiSHIng hook. (By: Nocifer)
す - "suuuuu" is the sound of you slurping up a big loopy noodle (By: アレックス833)
そ - そ(so) for SOap, just the motion you'd wash your belly with. Or we make a Z and then we add a little curve under it. (By: にゃ-ちゃん)
つ - Looks like a tsunami wave (By: RuaU_U)
と - Your Tooth Touching your Tongue. (By: ニオ・ミラノ)
ぬ - Noodles with chopsticks (By: Maidmerien)
ひ - Looks like a smile and you smile when you say “hi” to someone (By: アリアン*)
ゆ - One person is wrapping their arm around another saying, "I want to hug yu!" (By: Kayt W)
よ - A snake saying hi: Yo! (By: Anto_is-me)
れ - A RAY of sunshine across some mountains (By: Bushfoxy)
を - を WOah, somebody jumping over hurdles. (By: にゃ-ちゃん)
ぺ - ぺ looks like the peak of a mountain with a moon! (By: ハチロウ)
サ - "Two people on a see-saw" katakana sa サ looks like the mirror image of the hiragana for se せ. (By: Anonymous123)
ス - It looks like someone about to do a split (SU-plit) (By: Ringo Maka)
テ - telephone pole (By: bibulous)
ハ - It's two HAnds clapping "Hahaha that's great!" (By: fauserbu)
マ - マ/ ma for MAsk, same shape as the masks we've all become familiar with during the pandemic. (By: にゃ-ちゃん)
ミ - Do re mi. 3 notes, 3 lines (By: lawlieter)
ム - An arm flexing its biceps - MUscles! 💪 (By: Puppixx)
メ - When I see something is MEh, I just cross it out (メ looks like an X ) (By: ダニ!)
ヨ - "Yo, why is this 'E' backwards?" (By: アレックス833)
ラ - A big bowl of RAmen with a slice of pork on top. (By: アレックス833)
ロ - Ro(bot) head (By: lawlieter)
ウ - Unicorn - the top line is the horn (By: Puppixx)
エ - It looks like a door from an 「エlevator」 (By: ジョアス 🇧🇷❤🇯🇵)
ワ - Looks like a faucet for (wa)ter to come out of (By: fuzzygreen5)

1 year ago
Report Content
ヘズル
Level: 37
9249681864aefaf893a0cdf93fa26a958e6a4971a668386d.png

for my ね submission(image credit)

1 year ago
Report Content
Akamiza
Level: 162

How I see ku in kuruma

cbd8285d5b5b0e890e09c22a923e7c7520e61e7114986c90.png
1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

These are great, keep em coming!

1 year ago
Report Content

(Not an image submission)

Are mnemonics that were added before the contest going to be part of it? Like, could they be the winner even though it’s before the contest was announced?

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

Yes!

1 year ago
Report Content
7acf35c0b3f8a6712c848b808dbc338ba03c5ee0e3ff187d.jpg

I can’t draw, but this is supposed to show ネ in the face of a cat/ネコ.

1 year ago
Report Content
Akamiza
Level: 162

Ne looks like a tree with branches for me and someone is screaming at the tree with ねえ lol

e5cc51cef1214c05dba6303925a02331136900668ca06211.png
1 year ago
Report Content
Dogtopius
Level: 496

ぬ is curly just like ぬdles (noodles) I came up with this mnemonic when I was 10 years old and now I can finally draw it for this contest

kao_sparkle.png73bdd4c6ecb70eb6d072971e4f1970d3140276e7fc04fa9d.png
1 year ago
Report Content

A(nother) question for the contest:

Do suki points influence the winning mnemonics?

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

They may be considered, but only in a supporting manner, and not an overriding reason for something to be chosen.

1 year ago
Report Content
Li~
Level: 108

kao_don.pngI was confused at first, i thought it was a drawing contest hehe, however, here is my drawing for tsu つ, whenever I think in tsu I imagine a tsunami wave.

905f0a3894a88717426b261c0be3d4cf8778b790f3ac5292.png
1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

It is a written mnemonic contest (so make sure you add this to the つ list of mnemonics, as those are the ones that are considered), but you are free and welcome to add artwork to illustrate your mnemonic :)

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

Once September 1 hits, all entrants will be notified that the contest is over. It'll take a bit of time to select all the winners, but they will be notified directly and a full list will also be given here!

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

Thank you so much to all those who joined the kana mnemonic contest. We had an amazing response: almost 200 participants, with over 800 mnemonics across the kana alphabet!

Additionally, the level of creativity in the mnemonics is above and beyond what I expected! Excellent work.

I will post another message here once the winners have been chosen! Because of how many we received, I'll also be giving some free renshuu pro to all participants who do not win.

Thanks again, and I hope you join our next contest!

よろしくおいいたします。

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

The original post in this thread has been updated with the winners!

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Announcements > Archived Announcements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana