Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - What are the . and - that show up in kunyomi?

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

As the title says, there's . and - in the kunyomi for kanji occasionally. For example, く.い for

I though it might have something to do with inflection, but i looked around and can't really find any info. Also, sorry if these are something obvious, i'm very new.

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261

Check out Resources > Japanese Basics > Kanji Basics (near the bottom) :)

1 year ago
Report Content

Thank you for your advice. However, I looked into that, but there doesn't seem to be anything about the periods and dashes. Am I missing something simple? I apologize if I am.

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261

Ah, the dashes are indeed not mentioned, sorry about that! I'll get that added when I can.

The periods and () serve the same purpose as the periods (they are used in both fashions on other sites, so renshuu tries to split the difference by showing both.

So, た.べる and た(べる) are the same thing.

As to the dashes, they are a way of showing a different version of the kunyomi.

For example, has both わる.い and わる- listed. わる.い is the official, formal reading. わる- is there to say "hey, it sometimes appears as (with the reading of わる), but it is followed by something OTHER than い. Almost like a prefix.

I do not personally feel these are the most useful, but I'm somewhat hesitant to outright remove data from the kanji dictionary.

1 year ago
Report Content

Okay, thank you so much for all your help!

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana